Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

If I am bad in math, but have interest thanks to popular scientists, should I major in it?

I already know I am completely bad in math, like not even past (or at least not 60% confident) with division at 23 years old bad but I am a fan of physicists Brian Greene, Neil Tyson, Bill Nye and Michio. They all fascinate me with their theoretical physics and programs but when it comes to actual pen and paper math I would die in class. I can follow their lectures and talks on things like string theory and Quantum Mechanics but this is all talk and I'm sure highly, HIGHLY, HIGHLY simplified right? I try my best to watch or listen to them via podcasts, PBS and other cable networks, internet.. whenever they are on.

Should I peruse a math degree in college and hope to get better or should I just not stick my hand in the fire if I know that I won't know what to do next? I am really confused by what should be a simple question. I mean some people like sports and are obsessed with it but not everyone is cut out to be an athlete personally. What do you think?

• 하하

A math degree for someone who isn't strong in math? Absolutely not. What job would you even want to do with that? You can find something else to fit your interests and strengths, talk to an adviser and/or career counselor.

All through school I was horrible at math. Now I have over a 100% average in college algebra. I have a long way to go in my degree, but considering I've had no math in over 10 years, I'm very pleased with my grade. It's possible to learn something. Math finally clicked for me and makes sense. It's actually my favorite subject right now and it's the one I was dreading most. Go figure. So you shouldn't just discard your dreams, but talk to an adviser before jumping into anything. You may need to start at the lowest developmental class and work your way up.

• Yuri

If you are having problems with division at that age you may want to look into using a spaced repetition system. The education system is not really designed for you to actually REMEMBER anything.

wikipedia: forgetting curve

google "Algebra Acrostic Dictionary" and "Geometry Acrostic Dictionary"

these are a collection of mnemonics for algebra or geometry.

No, if you're bad math don't kill yourself trying to major in it. You could continue your interest in scientists and mathematical theory as a hobby or maybe a minor but I would recommend finding something that you excel in.