Can I sue the drug makers of Lisinopril HCTZ?

I was taking the medication lisinopril hctz for high blood pressure. i became pregnant and was still on it, not knowing it could cause harm to fetus. my baby was born with hypoplastic lungs and non functioning kidneys. i also was diagnosed with oligohydramnios at 20 weeks. my baby died after 11 days. after reading information on this medication online, i read that all these problems were reported while taking this medication i know that nothing will bring my precious baby back, but i never wish this to happen to another, and the potential harm of this drug needs to be addressed. does anyone know if i can sue the makers of this medication or have any advise for me? thank you for your time.

also i did stop taking it when i found out i was pregnant, but i was already 9wks into pregnancy.

• qr8fuL
    Favorite Answer

does it state on the bottle to not use while pregnant? if so, im not so sure.

im very sorry to hear that you loss ur baby due to this. how very unfortunate. but i believe u have a case if it doesn't state on the bottle or prescription pamphlet to not use while pregnant. if indeed it doesn't state that in fine print, you sue for the condition in which ur baby was in upon birth (ie; hypoplastic lungs, non functioning kindneys, etc). you sue for the death of ur baby. you sue for the condition in which now are diagnosed with. u sue if doctors say it isnt curable and u have to live with this condition. if it is curable, u sue for them to cover ur medical expenses. any hospitalization bills that wont be covered by insurance, ie; tests, treatments that arent covered DUE to you taking this medication. you sue for post traumatic stress. sue for the depression it has/ will cause u. um so to answer your question, yes, i believe so. i'd go get a lawyer asap! they'd be able to further assist you better with what to expect, etc.. i honestly hope everything works out for u & the rest of ur family. what a difficult time you must all be going thru, having dealt with such a terrible loss. may the lord be by your side, best of luck to you!

Source(s): many lawyers give free consultations. i'd make an appointment soon and explain ur situation. i believe u have a case. HOWEVER, the fact that you were already 9 weeks when you stopped, i'm sure will be a HUGE help for the maker of the drugs defense. good luck.

As a nurse, I can say, yes, you can sue, anyone can, again, that doesn't mean you will win. Anytime anyone takes a medication it is both the responsibility of the doctor AND the patient to know what they are taking and the side effects..I can't tell you how many patients I've had that take medication the doctor has prescribed and they don't even know the name of it much less how much they are taking.

Second, ask yourself who you want to sue and why? I ask this as I too had a son that passed (not in the same way) and had a life insurance 'just in case' NEVER THINKING I would need it. I got it years before to pay for funeral expenses etc. When I got the money, it was like...money for his death...I'd of just as soon paid for his funeral than have that money..Haunted me for a long time.So, do u want to sue the company so they are required to tell pregnant women of the potential effects? Do you want to put a stop to the drug all together? Or do you want to get a lot of money to prove a point because you are hurt and need someone to blame? PLEASE don't think me ill of saying that, I've just been there. I needed SOMEONE OR SOMETHING to blame...just to make it somewhat acceptable. I don't want to go into the politics as you are obviously still grieving..which as am I. All I can say, is if you're going to sue...don't make it in vain...like a quiet out of court settlement...you will have a lot more money, but your hear won't be healed. Make it where you made a difference. I will never have my son back either, but I'm not sueing the government, I'm going thru the channels to change the law. So another mom doesn't find herself in my position.

THE DRUG is already rated as Category C in the first three months and Category D for the last six months. So your suit is not going to change how it is viewed in pregnancy.

Now, when you got put on this drug did your doctor discuss pregnancy or birth control? If he did he documented it. When you get a new drug the Pharmacist is suppose to talk to you about it. If he did he documented it. There was pharmacy info with the drug, did you read it? you can bet the pharmacy documented putting it in there. You would have to prove that no one told you about the dangers of the drug to be able to have a successful suit.

The first time became pregnant I had a m/c and I was taking this drugs. I am sorry for your loss but there is a warning on this drug so I doubt if u can sue.

• Zach

I guess you didn't read the little insert that comes with the prescription that states to stop using while pregnant and to not get pregnant while using it. The warnings were out there. You ignored them. You can sue, but you'll lose.

You can sue whoever you want. This does not mean you are going to get anywhere.