Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 10 years ago

How to solve a physics question in involving satellites?

4. A 75 kg satellite is placed in orbit at a height of one earth radius above the earth's surface. That means that gravity is 25% weaker than at the surface.

b. Value of gravity in that orbit is 2.45 m/s/s.

c. Gravitational force acting on satellite is 180 N.

d. Centripetal force is the same as c.

e. The satellite's distance from the earth's centre is how much? I need to find the radius, and I have the mass, acceleration and centripedal force. I could use the equation ac = v2/r but I don't have the velocity. I've tried using other equations, but I need the period of orbit and there is no information about it!

Favorite Answer

mv^2 / R = 180 = mg = m . 2.45

No way to the period or radius from here....

You have to assume G and M(e) ( 6.67 . 10^–11 and 5.98 . 10^24 )

and use GM(e) . m / R^2 = m . 2.45

That will give you the radius but is it the method wanted???

Source(s): Old teacher
  • ?

you should combine all of those equations: stress as a results of gravity: F = GMm/R² ("R" is satellite tv for pc's distance from earth's midsection) Newton's 2d regulation: F = ma Acceleration of an merchandise in around action: a = v²/R So: F = ma substitute the gravity formula for "F" GMm/R² = ma Divide out the satellite tv for pc's mass "m": GM/R² = a substitute the around action formula for "a": GM/R² = v²/R next steps: * sparkling up algebraically for "v" * Plug in values for "G" and "M" (mass of earth). you will ought to look them up. * Plug in value for "R" (it extremely is the radius of the earth plus 2600 km. you will ought to look up the radius of the earth.)