Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Lucas asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 10 years ago

Wanting to join the SEAL's?

For quite a while now (about 2 years), I have been seriously considering attempting to join the SEAL's or try to become a Navy EOD technician. I am 16 yrs old. The problem with this is that i have three things that may stop me.

1.) Baseball. So far, I have a decent shot at playing baseball in college and i have aspirations to play past that point. If i had the choice, I would choose baseball because it is what I love.

2.) Academics. I get all A's in school and have engineering courses and also would want to be an engineer specifically with electrical engineering.

3.) Physical condition. I would put myself in fairly good shape as I am not overweight, underweight, or too big or too skinny. I go to the gym every other day and lift weights and run roughly 1.5 mi after. However, i play baseball which i know if by no means a sport that you would play to be in great physical shape. Wrestling would be something i would enjoy because I have a black belt in Isshinryu karate.

I am considering all of these things and i also have a girlfriend who i have been with this whole time ive been considering it and who I will be with throughout high school until we marry. And please, I do not want any stupid A** answers like "Get good with your fleshlite" BS, If you would want anything else you could message me.

MY question would be how much would attempting this affect my life, family, etc.

My girlfriend's opinion is also something that i will want to take into account but my question remains the same and how should i go about attempting going into the SEAL's.

Favorite Answer

If you would rather play baseball or study engineering, don't even bother thinking about becoming a Seal, you're just wasting everyone's time.

I'm going to join the Navy after college, and have been specifically wanting to do SEALs for a long time. I'm in high school as well, and i run, swim, and work out quite a bit. A lot of special operations forces training is mental, so if you are really fit but mentally weak you wont make it. I would try to work on mental toughness as well as physical toughness, i try to, at least. The crappy part is that if you go as an officer, you get one shot and that's it. I want to be a SEAL really bad, and don't really want to end up on a ship. Again with mental toughness, try to work on it on a day to day basis in simple things like running or swimming, by saying that you can go a little farther even though your tired. Ive tried it, and it seems to work. Also, whether your going after college as an officer or not, you have a little while to prepare to some extent.

Source(s): going for SEALs/Green Berets after college.

Go to college. Get your degree. Play baseball. Run a few 10k's, Half Marathon's.

Practice pushups and situps.

Talk to a Navy recruiter on joining the Navy. You have to request to join the Team. Once requested and you get accepted, your previous training should help.

The name calling and harsh training is normal. If you want it, stay with the whole training. Out of 125 who start, only 20 will complete BUDS.

Source(s): 24 years military

No physical training can prepare you for that of Rangers, SEALs Green Berret etc. but if you want to join SEALs it's not like you go try the training, then pass or fail in several days and come back. So you have to make a decision weather or not to join the navy.

1. Its up to you, its your life, so you make the decision, you want college, or you want to enlist and try to be a seal or EOD.

2. Fairly good shape because you run 1.5 miles ?

Sailors in Bud/s run a mile with a 400 lb rubber boat over their heads ( 6 sailors per boat )- just to go eat, then a mile back, that's 3 times per day

Then they actually go running

Fitness for to try to be a seal or eod, is like running 6 miles everyday, doing 800 push ups, 800 sit ups, 100 pull ups, 600 triceps dips, swimming 75 Min's non stop, plus all the other calisthenics like jumping jacks, burpies, etc.

Therre are days in bud/s where you may do 3,000 push ups, 4,000 flutter kicks in just one day.

If your issues with becoming a SEAL are that you'd rather play baseball or become an engineer, you aren't in the right mindset to attend BUD/S.

Source(s): SO Candidate
  • Vince

Go to college, major in engineering, and then join the Navy. After you're in the Navy as an officer, decide if you'd like to become a SEAL.

And what exactly is your question...? If you want to play with the big boys, you're going to have to start making big boy decisions all by yourself - though if you're really planning on marrying your girlfriend, her opinion should be taken into account as well.