Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What does 25.5" scale mean when talking about guitars?

does it mean that it is 25.5 inches long or what? is it like a mini guitar for like kids?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Most Fender electric guitars, including the Stratocaster, Telecaster, Esquire, and Jazzmaster use a scale length of 25.5 in (648 mm). A few Fender models such as the Jaguar use a scale length of 24 in (610 mm). Fender has also built some 3/4-size student guitars with a scale length of 22.5 in (572 mm) or shorter.

Gibson uses a scale length of 24.75 in (629 mm) on many of its electric guitars, including the Les Paul, Flying V, Explorer, SG, and ES-335. Gibson has used other scale lengths on various models through the years.

• 10 years ago

TH 303 gave a good answer,

I'll just add, they are talking about the length of the string between the Bridge and the nut.

The part of the strings that does the vibrating.

It has nothing to do with the size of the guitar itself.

Gibsons are known for the medium scale (tho they have used many scales over the years)

Fenders, and most strat copies, are known best for the 25.5, or long scale.

but again, there are no set rules.

The kids guitars are a much shorter scale.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Great job for trying to learn guitar not through tabs. As you know the guitar has different frets and depending on where you are on the neck of the guitar you can play the same note just in a different key. For example, you can play a C (on a bass guitar) on the A string (the second from the top) on the 3rd fret, you can also play that same C in two other locations higher on the frets as well. When it is saying first position you are going to want to play starting at the 1st or 3rd fret. I hope that makes sense. The reason you should learn the major scales is because when you become used to them you can pretty much play any song as long as you know the key. If a song is in C then you can say, ok I have three different areas that I can play C... let me see what key would best fit this song and then as long as you play any of those notes you will be in sync with the rest of the band.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.