Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 10 years ago

Advice on School Trip to Japan?

My university is starting a new program where Japanese language students go to Japan over the summer, taking some courses while we're there. We'll be staying in Kanazawa City, which they say is near Kyoto and Osaka. We'll also apparently be staying with a Japanese family on the weekdays, with free weekends.

Anyway, I've just started studying Japanese this summer, and I'm getting a basic grasp, just need to increase my vocabulary. Do you think it's possible for me to be able to speak it functionally by this June? I'd love to go there and try to speak no english whatsoever. The organizers were also unclear about the costs, claiming only that we'll have to pay a "GREAT DEAL LESS than similar programs". Does anyone have any idea what the costs are for similar programs? I have some money saved up, but I planned on spending quite a bit of it. I just want to know if I have enough now or I'll need more.

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

>Do you think it's possible for me to be able to speak it functionally by this June?

It's all up to your efforts. There are 7 months to go. So you can improve it a great deal if you work hard.

BTW, Kanazawa is not so close to Kyoto and Osaka.

No matter what level you are by June, I feel there is no better way to learn a language than to go there. I would go with your school if you have this opportunity rather than looking into other programs. Your school is probably finding some grants to help you out financially. I lived in Korea and didn't actively try to study the language all the time, but I picked up a lot by the end of my time there.

I've studied Spanish for 6 or 7 years, though I'm probably around a level 4. I took a test to go to an abroad program in Mexico, Guatemala, or Spain for a few weeks and I didn't pass! I don't know why they wouldn't accept me to go if I want to learn... but oh well. I went to Spain to work there for two months and I had more exposure to the language than I've ever had in my life. So, it was a good decision.

My best advice is to buy Lonely Planet Japan, and when you go there, a JR Rail Pass. Read the book and figure out where you want to go and what you want to see. If you have looked through that book and have any questions on anything, ask here, and other people and I would be glad to help. You have a year to plan, which is great. Also, start learning some of the language now. As polite and helpful as Japanese people are, it's rare to find English-speakers sometimes.