Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

Did Pocahontas ever marry John Smith?

I am trying to work on a school project about John Smith and I can't find anywhere if John Smith EVER married Pocahontas!!HELP PLS QUICK!!

• tuffy
    Favorite Answer

No, she married John Rolfe, an Englishman in Jamestown, and moved to England.

John Smith Movie

Disney John Smith

You're probably thinking of the Disney movie where Pochahantus married John Smith. This is actually a very interesting topic that our teacher went into a lecture about in class!

It depends what perspective you're looking from the disney movie, or historically. In the movie pocahontas did marry john smith, but historically it is different. In real life, Pocahontas married a man named John Rolfe. The truth is that both John Smith, John Rolfe and Pocahontas were real people that lived in the same village, but the disney movie makers took a spin from the real story.

John Smith was the leader of Jamestown. He did briefly meet with Pocahontas and she is said to have saved his life but they never became the affectionate lovers as the movie portrayed them to be.

John Rolfe married Pocahantas in the Spring of 1614. In his notes he wrote "It is Pocahontas," he wrote, "to whom my hearty and best thoughts are, and have been a long time so entangled, and enthralled in so intricate a labyrinth that I [could not] unwind myself thereout." This resulted in a great union and peace between the people of Jamestown and the people of the Powhatens.

Pocahontas was the honorable Indian chief's daughter and most of the facts about her are true. She was a kind spirit that helped out the settlers. After she married John Rolfe, she left to England on a short trip. Unfortunately, she couldn't stand it and died from diesease.

So basically what you need to know for your history project, John Smith had ecounters with Pocahontas but it was John Rolfe that married her. John Smith, for the most part, did not mention sharing romantic feelings for her. Most of this information is based off my notes on the teacher's lecture that I litterally took out from my binder to answer this question. For more details you can look up John Smith, John Rolfe, or Pocahantas on wikipedia. My guess for why the disney movie makers made john smith have love interests with Pocahontas was because he was the leader of the village and she was the chief's daughter which would make it more symbolic. Anyways, I hope you learned something new today, I actually found this topic quite interesting!

If "you can't find it anywhere" you need to learn more about doing research. "Just googling it" doesn't cut the mustard, child.

Yes he did!!!!