Problems with fixing failed THC-Hydra dependencies in Cygwin?

First of all, I must say that I am fairly new to Cygwin (although not to Linux in general), but I'm also a quick learner. I wanted to use Cygwin to compile and install THC-Hydra 7.1. I downloaded THC-Hydra from the official website and extracted it to my user folder under C:\Cygwing\home\Username in a folder named "Hydra". Upon running the "./configure" command, the following result comes up:

Username@Username-PC ~/Hydra

$ ./configure

Starting hydra auto configuration ...

Checking for openssl (libssl, libcrypto, ssl.h, sha.h) ...

... found

Checking for idn (libidn.so) ...

... NOT found, unicode logins and passwords will no

t be supported

Checking for pcre (libpcre.so, pcre.h) ...

... NOT found, server response checks wil

l be less reliable

Checking for Postgres (libpq.so, libpq-fe.h) ...

... NOT found, module postgres disa

bled

Checking for SVN (libsvn_client-1 libapr-1.so libaprutil-1.so) ...

... NOT found, mo

dule svn disabled

Checking for firebird (libfbclient.so) ...

... NOT found, module firebird disabled

Checking for MYSQL client (libmysqlclient.so, math.h) ...

... NOT found, module Mysq

l will not support version > 4.x

Checking for AFP (libafpclient.so) ...

... NOT found, module Apple Filing Protocol d

isabled - Apple sucks anyway

Checking for NCP (libncp.so / nwcalls.h) ...

... NOT found, module NCP disabled

Checking for SAP/R3 (librfc/saprfc.h) ...

... NOT found, module sapr3 disabled

Get it from http://www.sap.com/solutions/netweaver/linux/eval/...

Checking for libssh (libssh/libssh.h) ...

... NOT found, module ssh disabled

Get it from http://www.libssh.org/

Checking for Oracle (libocci.so libclntsh.so / oci.h) ...

... NOT found, module Orac

le disabled

Checking for GUI req's (pkg-config, gtk+-2.0) ...

... found

Hydra will be installed into .../bin of: /usr/local

(change this by running ./configure --prefix=path)

Writing Makefile.in ...

Cygwin detected, if compilation fails just update your installation.

Windres found, will attach icons to hydra cygwin executables

now type "make"

At first I tried to look for individual missing libraries using the setup.exe, but not only was it a hassle, but also I couldn't seem to find all libraries needed. I thought that installing all -devel libraries would solve the problem, but as you can see from the above output, it did not. After installing all -devel libraries didn't work, I tried to look for individual RPM files to install them. Now I managed to find some RPM files which, I think, would be right, but when I try to install, say, libidn-1.18-2.el6.i686.rpm, I get the following output:

Username@Username-PC ~

$ cd RPM

Username@Username-PC ~/RPM

$ rpm -hiv --ignoreos libidn-1.18-2.el6.i686.rpm

warning: libidn-1.18-2.el6.i686.rpm: V3 RSA/MD5 signature: NOKEY, key ID c105b9d

e

error: Failed dependencies:

/bin/sh is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

/sbin/install-info is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

/sbin/ldconfig is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

libc.so.6 is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3) is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4) is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4) is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1 is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

rtld(GNU_HASH) is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1 is needed by libidn-1.18-2.el6

As it is insane to know all the other libraries you should have prior to installing one, it is worth noticing that such a directory as "/bin/sh" exists under my Cygwin directory, so I don't know why Cygwin can't see it. I indeed don't have the "/sbin/" directory at all, and I'm not sure whether it should be there by default and if this is some sort of error that it doesn't exist, or should I create it myself somehow.

Solving all the above can give a real headache (not to mention other problems that may emerge when installing other libraries). Thus, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find all the dependencies required by THC-Hydra? I've tried to look for them myself, but can't find the

Favorite Answer

If push comes to shove, just build the depencencies you need (And you don't need all of them)

Installing all -devel libraries just makes sure you install packages with the header files necessary to compile packages that depend on them, but won't install any new packages.

http://cygwin.com/packages/

List of packages that you can install with setup.exe

My dad is the same. I used to drink 9 litres of White Lightening and 4 cans of Gold Label every day and even though I have been dry for over a year he still offers me booze at least a couple of times a week. Seriously on a bad day he's like Mrs Doyle from "Father Ted" offering cups of tea. Basically your dad seems to be like my dad in that he has what I think of as "awkward syndrome" where he honestly believes everyone is the same as him and if someone acts differently they are just "being awkward" or "doing it to be silly". I have been a vegetarian since 1996 and it was only about 2004 when my dad finally realised that nagging would not get me to eat meat. So I look forward to him not offering me booze anymore in 2014 (when I will be 34). Good luck mate - dads are amongst the most stubborn people in the world.