Spirituality ~ Meditation : What happens when your inhalation and exhalation cancel out each other?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

Patanjali Yoga sutras explains this. Meditation on the Indriyas: The ten senses, including the five active senses (karmendriyas) and the five cognitive senses (jnanendriyas).Antahkarana: The inner mental instrument includes the four functions of mind, which are manas, chitta, ahamkara, and buddhi.Vayus: The five forms of energy flow of prana, the Subtle energy underlying the Gross breath

Notice that when meditation is done with these inner instruments as the Object of meditation, attention has shifted away from the other Objects, such as visualized images, sensation, breath, energy, mantra, and attitudes, etc.. This is a Subtler aspect of meditation, and leads one further inward, moving in the direction of the center of consciousness, the Self.

Train three aspects of breath: Three aspects of breath and prana are trained when doing any of the specific breathing practices:

Exhalation: Training the exhalation is removing the jerkiness, allowing the flow to be slow and deep, as well as diaphragmatic.

Inhalation: Training the exhalation also means eliminating jerkiness, breathing slowly, and using the diaphragm.

Transition: Between exhalation and inhalation, and between inhalation and exhalation there is a transition, which is experienced as suspension, retention, or cessation, etc. The training of the transition is to make it very smooth, as if there were no pause at all.

Suspension: When the word stambha is translated as suspension or retention, this can be taken to mean the intentional holding of the breath over some period of time, which is a practice called kumbhaka. However, it is stambha that is used here, not kumbhaka. Between exhalation and inhalation there is a transition when one is neither exhaling nor inhaling. Between inhalation and exhalation there is also a transition when one is neither inhaling nor exhaling.

That pranayama has three aspects of external or outward flow (exhalation), internal or inward flow (inhalation), and the third, which is the absence of both during the transition between them, and is known as fixedness, retention, or suspension. These are regulated by place, time, and number, with breath becoming slow and subtle.

(bahya abhyantara stambha vrittih desha kala sankhyabhih paridrishtah dirgha sukshmah)

bahya = external

abhyantara = internal

stambha = holding, restraint, suspension, stationary, retention, cessation, transition

vrittih = operations, activities, fluctuations, modifications, changes, or various forms of the mind-field

desha = place, spot, space, location

kala = time, period, duration

sankhyabhih = by these three, number, count of

paridrishtah = regulated by, observed by

dirgha = made long, prolonged, slow

sukshmah = and subtle, fine

Source(s): my view. Patanjali Yoga Sutras.
  • 8 years ago

I think,

there are two possibilities

if this happens during meditation

if the being is aware

then one realizes the conscious energy

that does not need breath for it's survival

and may retain it's existence after the death,

if the being is unaware,

then one may fall asleep,

though I believe,

inhalation and exhalation

may merge in each other

but they can not practically cancel each other.

Source(s): Self.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Suspended halation..

'Halation' is a proper word, by the way. It is used in photography - it is the spreading of light beyond its proper boundary in a developed image, caused by internal reflection in the support of the emulsion.

You might like to meditate upon that and any possible parallels with mental boundaries breached by internal reflection. But I suggest that you don't give a moment's thought to your breathing whilst you meditate. God desigend inhalation and exhalation to be automatic reflex actions. Think well on how magnificiently God designed your body and seek to find his Holy Spirit for enlightenment that matters.

• 8 years ago

The Dovah'kin rises among the mortal men.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

You gotta use a closing pin over your nose. I learned that from this guy I know. It works, if you're into that sorta thing.

• 8 years ago

You die.actually I m serious but now I am on a non serious spree.sorry

• 8 years ago

Both blend into 'one', and serenity prevails.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Moot question.

• 8 years ago

You implode, then explode?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

you have a point there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.