Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 8 years ago

My car temperature gauge started going crazy and it doesnt even over heat. whats wrong? plz help!?

This problem just started yesterday Nov. 10. I turned the car on in the morning and I had to crank it multiple of times until it stayed on. Which surprised me because it never did that before. I let it warm up for about 10 minutes since it was freezing outside and when I left, it was a little bit above cold. When I reached about 20 blocks, I saw that the needle drastically when up to hot from it being less than the middle. I hurried to stop and when I completely stopped, the needle flicked all the way to cold. It didn't gradually go down. It like dropped within milliseconds to cold. And I noticed when I would start driving the needle would then shoot itself up all the way to the top, to hot. And I know it doesn't over heat because I drove the car all day today on HOT and nothing happened. And its kind of weird for the temp gauge to drop completely down to cold when I stopped at red lights, and flick itself all the way to the top when I was on the expressway. Can someone please help? What's going on? Is the wiring going bad? Sensor? Thermostat? It's a 2000 Dodge Neon with 136,xxx miles.

I have checked the actual radiator for coolant and it is all the way to the top. It does not leak any antifreeze or anything, I am not sure of what it has. But thank you guys for your help, I will probably have to bleed everything out to check for any air bubbles.

Thanks a lot!! I appreciate it!

Best Answer

Most likely you have a low coolant level. This being the case, the temp sensor is at times seeing no coolant, just air and the temperature drops coolant occasionally rushes in and then the sensor sees high temperatures. This is bad for the engine as at times, and in places the engine is overheating.

You need to figure out why the coolant level is low. A leak, a blown head gasket, a shot water pump? Any of these could be the cause. Fix it, fill it and bleed it

Astrobuf

Astrobuf

• RossK

First check the level of coolant if you haven't already done so. Check the coolant in the overflow tank, and then let the the engine completely cool down and open the radiator cap. The coolant should be right at the top. If you do not see coolant, add coolant to completely fill the radiator. The temperature gauge will fluctuate erratically between hot and cold with low coolant, especially if you have a combustion gas leak into the water jacket, such as with a leaking or blown head gasket. If the coolant level seems good, it is probably a bad temperature sending unit.

If you do have a leaking or blown head gasket, this condition will keep happening until you get it fixed.

First verify the point of coolant in case you haven't any longer already executed so. verify the coolant interior the overflow tank, and then enable the the engine thoroughly cool down and open the radiator cap. The coolant could desire to be top on the precise. in case you do no longer see coolant, upload coolant to thoroughly fill the radiator. The temperature gauge will variety inconsistently between warm and chilly with low coolant, exceptionally in case you have a combustion gasoline leak into the water jacket, such as with a leaking or blown head gasket. If the coolant point seems good, it somewhat is possibly a foul temperature sending unit. in case you do have a leaking or blown head gasket, this condition will keep occurring till you get it fixed.