Are Christian ethics our only hope for universal harmony!?

BEFORE YOU ANSWER.. keep in mind I said *ethics*... & not morals !

For morals are our innate ability to discern right from wrong... and are least relative

Ethics are a systematic collection of morals... under one label... & are usually not innate/ universal... they require external learning... but are still as natural as our morals if they come from the best source (God) !

Therefore, Christianity... being a universal religion... and a source of OBJECTIVE morals... is our only chance at universal harmony !

Do you not agree!?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Christianity's morality is not objective in any way. Its views have changed over time, just like the rest of society. It's almost as if society dictates religion and not vice-versa, but that's crazy talk!

• 9 years ago

Which ethics? Depending on which denomination you ask, you're going to get a wildly different answer as to what those ethics are. Also, why Christian ethics, and not Muslim, or Buddhist, or any other set? For that matter, why assume objective ethics have to come from a religion? If you study a little bit of philosophy, you'll see there are plenty of sets of objective morality that don't come from religion.

Is religious morality even objective? I'd suggest reading up on the Euthyphro dilemma. If morals are just whatever God says, then isn't that just as arbitrary, and why should we call that particular set good? If there's a reason to call them good, then isn't something outside of God being used?

• 9 years ago

ethics - definition of ethics by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus ...www.thefreedictionary.com/ethicsCached - Similar

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

a. A set of principles of right conduct. b. A theory or a system of moral values: "An ethic of service is at war with a craving for gain" (Gregg Easterbrook). 2. ethics ...

There are the world's ethics and there are Christian ethics. Christian ethics are ones God approves of and yes they will make harmony in the world.

• No I do not agree!

The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim, and universal ethical code, that was here long before Christianity and it essentially states either of the following:

• (Positive form): One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

• (Negative/prohibitive form, also called the Silver Rule): One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated.

“The Golden Rule is arguably the most essential basis for the modern concept of human rights, in which each individual has a right to just treatment, and a reciprocal responsibility to ensure justice for others.

Some early incarnations of the Golden Rule, found in the Code of Hammurabi, (1780 BCE), and in the Torah, dealt with ethical reciprocity in ways, such by limiting retribution to only that which was equal and equitable, as they did concepts of retribution ("an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth").

An early example of the Golden Rule that reflects the Ancient Egyptian concept of Maat appears in the story of The Eloquent Peasant, which dates to the Middle Kingdom (c. 2040–1650 BCE): "Now this is the command: Do to the doer to cause that he do thus to you." An example from a Late Period (c. 664 BCE – 323 BCE) papyrus: "That which you hate to be done to you, do not do to another."

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

I radically disagree!!! Christianity is a FALSE religion. The Almighty Most High Holy One of Israel wrote The Ten Commandments on our hearts, and scripture also tells us that He now dwells in the hearts of men. So, The Way, which it tells us in scripture, is the only "Way" to universal unity, and peace. Christianity is just a bad mix of Judaism, and paganism, brought about by The "HOLY" Roman Empire, which, was controlled, just as christianity is today, by Satan. So NO, it's NOT our only chance, it leads us to hell!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

to answer you question honestly i don't think it would create harmony. not many people like to be forced to have a belief system that isn't their own. and to impose a set of ethics on the masses would only create rebellion. and with rebellion comes a whole list of other problems that in turn will cause more chaos then harmony. then again this only my opinion.

Source(s): my opinion
  • 9 years ago

No. And if it was, which denomination would be the right one? Besides, the ethics of Christianity has changed over time.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Actually no I don't agree.

christian ethics or the biblical law isn't about a moral in so much as a way of life it is a way of transformation. you don't not kill just because it's a good idea you don't kill or even think about killing because it changes you.

• 9 years ago

There are many more belief systems and religions that are more ethical and peaceful that Christianity.

Source(s): Christian turned Pagan dating a ChristoPagan
  • 9 years ago

Christian ethics have done more to destroy the world than create harmony.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.