Malah asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

What are intersective, non intersective, and relative adjectives?

I have to determine which of these the following words are:

Brave

Possible

Wooden

Suspected

I don't want the answer, I was just showing these words to illustrate what I need to apply ntersective, non-intersective, and relative adjective labels to. Can anyone give me an extremely simple definition?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • RE
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Intersective: Phrases like [blue suit] are easy to understand because we can intersect the set of blue things with the set of suits and get the set of blue suits. Such adjectives are called intersective adjectives.

Relative Intersection: Some adjectives, like [big] in [big mosquito] work differently. In this case, what we mean is "big for an X", in this case, "big for a mosquito". A big elephant and a big mouse are two very different senses of "big", unless we understand "big" as an adjective whose meaning is relativized to the noun or noun phrase that it's modifying. This is called relative intersection, and "big" is an adjective of relative intersection. Other examples are tall, good, short, poor, rich. This is a very typical kind of adjective.

Non-intersection: Non-intersective adjectives are adjectives that don't entail reference to the objects denoted by the noun. This is the case of adjectives like alleged and possible. If we say, "the alleged thief arrived in court," we do not need to be talking about a thief. That is, if you are a possible candidate, that does not entail that you are a candidate. Being an alleged thief does not entail being a thief. By contrast, being a red wine does entail being a wine, and being a big mouse, does entail being a mouse. (Question: why doesn't being a "big shot" entail being a "shot". Answer: (which you should know) [big shot] is an idiomatic expression. It's not transparently compositional. It has a meaning that is different from combined meanings of its parts.

Anti-intersection: Non-intersective adjectives are adjectives that can't entail reference to the objects denoted by the noun and which in fact entail non-reference to the noun in question. This is best understood if we think about the phrase [a fake Picasso]. The semantics of [fake] are such that the phrase [a fake Picasso] can never refer to a real painting by Picasso. Such adjectives are called anti-intersective adjectives.

Example: 'suspected' and 'possible' non-intersective, because suspects don't necessarily intersect with the set of all perpetrators of the act that someone is suspected of committing, and possibilities don't necessarily become certainties.

Brave is probably relative, because a brave child getting an immunization shot without flinching is a different kind of brave than the firefighter who enters a burning building. The former is brave for a child; the latter is brave for an adult.

If you think these definitions aren't simple, you should see some of the stuff that came up on Google. There was talk about "blaming the noun" and "blaming the adjective" and God knows what all.

• illig
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Intersective

• Miriam
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awOIM

In your situation, you are supposing that the relative will be ungrateful. And that a non-relative, probably a very close friend that you would like to help, will forever express loyalty and indebtedness to you. Family bonds in Filipinos are strong, as we are generally family-oriented. And as family, we are expected to give more of our time to them than other people. Wanting something in return for something that you did is a form of self-exaltation, or a feeling of greatness. If the relative doesn't return the favor, you would probably regret you had helped him. In truth, this applies to anyone who did not reciprocate your good intentions. It's typically human nature. A good friend is a friend no matter how one puts it. An ungrateful relative is family. For me, there would be no other way than to go on and extend help to both.

• Rodica
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Relative adjectives are placed in front of nouns to indicate a link between that noun and an antecedent (the same noun previously stated or implied). In English, relative adjectives are used mainly in legal, administrative, or other highly-formal language.

There are five witnesses, WHICH witnesses will arrive tomorrow.

You will pay $500, WHICH sum will be...

It's possible that the defendant will kill again, in WHICH case...

WHICHEVER

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.