Morrowind vs Skyrim RPG discussion. I've played skyrim...?

A few things I wanted to share with someone else, get some thoughts. I've had a chance to play Skyrim for about a week now (yeah) and I must say I'm VERY impressed with it. Much better than Oblivion. There are only a couple things that I am dissapointed with but it seems to be rampant in many RPGs nowadays.

Call me a bit traditional but the way Morrowind made quests difficult, was just plain awesome. A lot less "go here and do this" and more so thinking and solving a big puzzle. Now with most if not all RPGs (correct me if I'm wrong) they give you quests "hey go find this", or "hey go find and kill him" and you don't ACTUALLY have to go find it, there's a very easy arrow that takes you right to it... so where's the finding??? Back with Morrowind, you HAD to look and look hard for a lot of ****, am I dumb to want it that way? I feel like RPGs now, like skyrim, its a lot more travel there once, then "go find this dragonclaw" then you just fast travel right there and follow your arrow, no finding necessary. Which bring me to my second point...

Fast travel. While I do find NOT having any fast travel would be ridiculously boring, being able to travel straight to your destination is not exactly fun either. What's the point in having a map so huge when you don't even travel it?? And the compass type thing points you to anything of importance (somehow it knows!) I think Morrowind's limited travel system was perfect too, not too much but saved you from taking HUGE boring journeys. Don't even get me started on Fallout's fast travel. There are SO many landmarks to fast travel to it makes it a JOKE. Such an awesome environment, a great rendering of washington DC wasted... Anyone else think fast travel as it is in Oblivion or Skyrim ruins RPGs?

LASTLY- This is a small problem that bothers me is how your character knows certain things. The biggest thing that comes to mind for me in that regard is your character knows the names of everyone in the world. Um... how? And then when you come across someone like "Stranger" or something similarly ridiculous, you know its someone important... *cough*GRAY FOX*cough* Same with some peoples houses and I'm sure theres other stuff, anyone else think of anything? It cannot be that difficult to add a set of dialog options to talk to people about names and whatnot.

Well those are my problems with Elder Scrolls / modern RPGs. Anyone else agree, disagree?? I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this subject. Feel free to comment, ask questions, etc! Thanks!

Yeah about the eating thing: The hardcore mode in Fallout was unparalleled! I want that option for all my RPGs. I loved it!

Another thing with Skyrim I've currently noticed is that there's an unprecedented problem with item ownership. For whatever reason half the items on display in shops you're able to take while the other half is considered stealing. I don't understand why... like when you join a certain guild it lets you take anything from their hideout but its been VERY lax in skyrim with taking what you want... I'm pretty surprised

@ DUTIN- No of course you don't. You never have to. I feel its less forced upon you then oblivion but I still think it is a significant part of the game nonetheless. Its definitely something I've felt I've not been forced to do but not something I've wanted to do compared to other quests though.

@ SARGE- Had it for about a week and have 30 hours playtime. So I think I can judge it. :) I definitely agree with you on quests. Morrowind made it an adventure, but perhaps too big of an adventure? Maybe offering a hardcore mode akin to Fallout's where you can choose to have the pointy thing, OR make it less obvious. When it says go and search THIS DUNGEON for the dragonclaw key, let it point you to the dungeon but nothing more. Once you're inside it should turn off. I understand that I'm the hardcore gamer, but offering both worlds would be nice.

Morrowind was crazy difficult with some quests. I know at least a few occasions it was mocked for the cube box thing you had to find in a dwemer dungeon one time and it was just tiny. I probably wouldn't be able to find it again if I tried. But I don't have the sense of accomplishment I got from Morrowind anymore when I actually did beat something.

Best Answer

nub

• Sarg

There certainly was a sense of accomplishment and exploration you got from Morrowind that was missing in Oblivion. Never the less the instructions on quests were very vague in Morrowind, a lot of creatures were overpowered in early quests, and the game was just plain cryptic and confusing.

As for comparing it to Skyrim well the game isn't even out yet, how are you playing it? Are you just playing a demo of some sort? If so it's not fair to compare the demo to Morrowind, if not then it's too early to cast Judgement imo.

I also hated fast travel in Oblivion, I'm just like dude at least make the player travel to the town before letting them warp there it was like they had this big beautifull world but exploration wasn't required, I don't even understand why Oblivion had mounts.

I too am irked by the simplicity of modern RPGs, a lot of games don't require exploration or thinking anymore.

Even so I much prefered Oblivion over Morrowind, it's weird but morrowind pisses me off for the same reason I like it. I would get so frustrated with the cryptic quests in that game and it was very easy to get lost, but at the same time that's what made it feel like an adventure instead of just going from point A to point B.

I feel that the proper way to go forward is to have both styles of gameplay to keep games accesible to a wider audience while still being appealing to the seasoned gamer.

Take for example Dragon Quest 9, excellent game especially on coop and the story is very linear, you always know where to go next for the most part. However if you get bored of the main story you can make really overpowered gear with alchemy, this requires hunting for recipes, figuring out which monsters have the mats you need and hunting them down, and finding where variouse ores spawn via research or exploration. The most addictive part of the game imo aside from the coop feature.

The key thing dq9 got right was making the thinking aspect of the game both rewarding and deep, complex sidequests and features are not new, but making them worth your time and deep enough to spend many hours on is what makes these kind of features shine. Doing alchemy in dq9 makes the difference between victory or defeat on boss battles if you're not overleveled. That's the way to go when designing these features imo

While you make a valid arguement I do have to disagree in some ways.

- If you don't like fast traveling use the caravans by stables to take you to major cities from there you should be able to walk anywhere you need to without fast traveling.

- your first opinion is understandable, but people who want those kind of RPG's back are a only a few. It's just boring and time consuming to most. People want to make progress and not have to keep opening their journal to find which house to go in. Also there are a good amount of puzzles in Skyrim.

IMO Skyrim is the best TES to date. Other than size I can't see why Morrowind is better. I just love how Bethesda actually changes up their game franchice's gameplay unlike most games.

If you've been to an area once, then you can fast travel to it. You're probably not gonna see anything new taking the same path back that you took forwards... All fast travel does is eliminate like 20 hours of pointless travel. That being said, fallout 3/New Vegas both sucked, pretty much all aspects of the games were terrible. Skyrim takes and blends aspects of morrowind and oblivion, with the few redeeming qualities of fallout, other than some bugs here and there I'm sure the game play is going to be epic.

• Dutin

I'm thinking about getting skyrim but if it's more like oblivion then morrowind I probably won't. Do you HAVE to follow the questline? I'm a little disappointed to hear about the fast travel, they should have really just made things like reusable scrolls to teleport you to certain places and cities, instead of being able to automatically go to just about any significant place in the game once you're there.

I agree with you completely. I hate to say it, but I like the way Runescape's quests are. You have to do a lot to meet prerequisites and then there's a lot of traveling, puzzles, etc. Quests are too easy in RPGs now. I also agree on you about fast travel. It's cool to a point, but only just. I like Far Cry 2's traveling system where you had to go to a bus station to travel and even then you could only go to other bus stations. It made you actually traverse the map instead of just fast travel everywhere.

well for the fast travel that is something you can choose to decline. They can't make the game That realistic, soon we'll be saying well my character hasnt eaten in a few hours so he is becoming fatigued and etc. These games are great for immersing yourself in a fictional world, but the fact is that it is fictional and cant come close to replacing reality so I guess you're going to jsut have to deal with being omnicient and knowing everyone's name

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is the next installment in the award-winning Elder Scrolls series. Skyrim is the follow up to the 2006 Game of the Year, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and the next game from Bethesda Game Studios, creators of the 2008 Game of the Year, Fallout 3.

I totally agree on all points. Hadn't thought of the names thing either, nice idea.

Morrowind was glitchy in the first place. But it did had it's perks. Like the Bloodmoon Pack. Where you can turn into a WereWolf. But really the game was absolute crap. Until they fix that mistake with Oblivion. The greatest Elder Scroll series, yet. Until Skyrim shows up.

morrowind was the grand theft auto of the elder scrolls lol remember god mode or vawpire mode... omg lol love it much