Circuit design for a simple 120vac to 12vdc linear power supply?

Im new to electronics, can someone help me with a simple linear power supply to convert household 120 vac to 12vdc. I know ill need some sort of 120v-12v transformer, then a full wave rectifier using diodes, and a capacitor filter to smooth it out. This is for a simple electronics project in which i will only power... show more Im new to electronics, can someone help me with a simple linear power supply to convert household 120 vac to 12vdc. I know ill need some sort of 120v-12v transformer, then a full wave rectifier using diodes, and a capacitor filter to smooth it out. This is for a simple electronics project in which i will only power a LED. Would i really need a voltage regulator component? can i achieve a smooth enough dc signal for my purpose with a high RC time constant on the capacitor filter. please help. I have search for many designs but i see various changes on them. if someone cam provide me with some insight, and the basic design with some values to achieve a near 12 v transformer, i would be really grateful.