popular music vs. classical music?

how do you think the popular music of today compares to classical music? in their respective times, do you think they serve the same purpose or not?

Favorite Answer

Classical music was the pop back in the day, just as popular music is our pop of the day. I can enjoy both, and be in the mood for either. I listen to classical music with a more fine tuned ear, as with popular music it's mostly background music in my opinion. Pop music doesn't have deep meaning, other than the lyrics if presented by the artist. Classical music has different moods, tones, instruments, dynamics, even genres, which are very apparent if your a musician, if you think about it i.e. Romantic, Boroque, etc. Classical music is a lost art, and is enjoyed by a small community, and that's why it is very special.

Source(s): Pianist

Classical Music Vs Pop Music

I used to carry an ongoing crusade against popular music.

But then I read somewhere that every culture in history has had three styles of music which correspond roughly with what we call popular, classical, and folk music.

Then I figured that there must be a deeply imprinted popular-classical-folk music instinct which would render such a mission futile.

I am just laughing at some of the answers I have just read previous to this posting. Let me add my own viewpoint.

Classical music in a fine art, a sophisticated endeavor of music that is to be savored, a timeless legacy of music that will endure through the ages for its complicated, yet beautifully intertwined harmonies and rich pallets of color and form. That, of course, does not do justice to the full content of classical music, but it will have to do for now.

Pop music, on the other hand, uses far less rich harmonies, much blander content and a great deal of repetition which gets outright boring after awhile in music content. Words may avail this, but the music content does not cover this up.

Folk music is simple and catchy to the non educated ear. It is simplistic and has its beauty to children and simplistic form in teaching mode.

Those are the basic differences that I can state without writing a thesis. However, that comment I saw about classical music being for sleeping and therapy was absolute nonesense. Classical music is a beauty like no other, but it takes an educated ear to understand it, and this is an ear which is not hard to develop if one takes the time to stop and truly listen.

Source(s): music degree and longterm music teacher

Classical music has different moods, tones, instruments, dynamics, even genres, which are very apparent if your a musician, if you think about it i.e. Romantic, Boroque, etc. Classical music is a lost art, and is enjoyed by a small community, and that's why it is very special.

Whilst most classical works are positively viewed, popular music is at times criticised.

I think the two genres shouldn't be compared at all. Popular music has its good, but yet it does have its awfully bad stuff. Not to mention, popular music is quite broad where it ranges from metal, pop, hip hop to new age.

• Kate

I adore classical music, because it influenced many of the modern artists of today. However, I also like some popular music, like Lady Gaga, and some Katy Perry. But Bach, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Chopin...these are the true greats.

well as you may notice that in our current generation pop and hip hop are quite popular with dance and electronic slowly climbing the ranks. These musical pieces are for dancing, and mainly FOR dancing. Classical music is something that people would sit down and listen to fully.

Classical music is used for theraputic use, i.e. sleeping and therapy.

It all depends on your personal taste. But I see numerous music pieces produced to day that are absolutely meaningless, very few have meaning.