When was the last time Republicans cut spending or limited the size and scope of government?

Without conservative philosophy practical politics mean nothing

For all my limited government beliefs, my desire to drastically reduce Federal Power, diminish bureaucracy and advocacy for the Constitution....................When are these agendas ever going to actually materialize?????? And if they aren't why bother at all????

Most all the GOP contenders that are running for president are doing so on the platform of making Obama a one term president...............BUT THEN WHAT??????

More government growth, more government spending, and more Federal power???? Just like Bush??

Call me crazy but battling on if the DNC or GOP might better manage a system of an ever increasing big government isn't really worth my time..................

Ronald Reagan was the best and most conservative president of the last half century and government EXPLODED under his leadership....................

Is there a conservative that can accomplish what Reagan could not?

Is conservatism today simply a matter of making big government more Republican?

SA@TheDC - Conservatism for What?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgS1toOI-ug

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=feedu

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yep, we already had a conservative who limited government to nothing more than a bank for the Con 1%. His name was Calvin Coolridge. For the majority of his presidency, he worked on his farm away from DC. After years of deregulation and the end of his term, the US experienced something called the "Great Depression." Yes, he was Republican. Yes, it took a Democrat to pull us through the Great Depression. His name was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, possibly the greatest President of the US and the only president to serve 4 terms (he died in the middle of his last term). Through him, all the social welfare programs that Cons now are trying to tear down were made. Looks like history is repeating itself again eh?

• 8 years ago

Your right. All they really want is to get back in the driver's seat and start sucking on the Government teat again. All they want is for there to be no opposition to do as they please. That means less freedom for those who are not conservative and who do not believe in religious agendas. Those who can least afford tax increases will be paying through the nose just so the rich can continue their tax breaks. And I doubt the job situation will improve under them either.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

"Is conservatism today simply a matter of making big government more Republican?"

This is why I've said Bush was no conservative.

Also..

I think it's unfair to say Reagan increasing our Military, was EXPLODING our govt.

He gave across-the-board tax cuts, increased revenues, and helped end the Cold War.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

They're too busy fixing our nation by establishing an iron-clad economic program that will lead to prosperity. This plan, of course, means:

No NPR

No PBS

No public option in health care

No unions

No Planned Parenthood

An official national religion (evangelical Christianity)

No gun laws

Increased military spending

English as the official language

Abolition of public schooling

Tax subsidies for corporations

Tax cuts for the richest

Outlawing homosexuality

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

you will never win the argument with this tactic. okay, you do NOT advance the cause of higher taxes by claiming Republicans raise them too! the last time the deficit was successfully addressed, WE controlled the purse strings and FORCED your boy to bow to US!

• Joe
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Clearly, you are a perfect liberal lap dog.

No one is public office has added more to the national debt than the current Democrats in office. The healthcare bill will add a minimum of $1.3 trillion to the debt every single year.

• 8 years ago

They tend to increase government and our nations debt too.

• robert
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

ron paul 2012

• 8 years ago
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

"Is there a conservative that can accomplish what Reagan could not?"

hell no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.