Vinz
Vinz asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 9 years ago

My dream is to win a Nobel Prize for Medicine or Physiology. Can I do it?

I am aged 18 and very excited in the field of biology. I'm planning on doing biological sciences at university and specialise into genetics. For years now, the dream has been to win the Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology. I am curious enough but tend to be distracted easily. When I hear of Einstein, Feynman, Crick, Watson, Hunt it always hits me that I should try and be like those people; go down in history and make a significant contribution to the field I take greatest interest in. It's not that I want to go down in history alone; the idea of obsessing about something and discovering something in the world that noone else knows appeals a great deal. However, I have convinced myself at the same time that I am making a mistake as very often my dreams are shattered by sheer laziness and boredom of things very quickly.

Btw, I am a straight A student and have been told I am very good at 'thinking outside the box', however relevant that may be. How often do people like me come across and actually go on to do it? Am I stupid for having such an ambition?

@Knowalot, I could but I want to become a scientist (geneticist); not a doctor...

Favorite Answer

You're not stupid for having this ambition, though you need to work incredibly hard to achieve it. As you probably know, only the best and brightest people can even compete for a Nobel Prize. Yes, it's possible to do, but you need to study relentlessly, get into the best schools, and put out a paper that revolutionizes science as we know it. I wouldn't necessarily aim for the Nobel Prize, I would aim to discover something incredible and win a Nobel Prize as a byproduct, if you understand what I mean. The Nobel Prize is not only very difficult to earn, it's up to the board's discretion. So even if you do discover something incredible, they might think someone else's discovery was more relevant.

My advice would be to enter a "hot" field of research once you earn your PhD. That's another thing... be prepared for a TON of schooling. That means 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and then another 2-3 years to earn a PhD. Not to mention the years you have to intern. And while it is possible to earn a Nobel Prize at any age, most people don't earn it in the sciences until their 40s. So you have a long ways to go, and a lot of work ahead. But who knows, if you don't try, you'll never get it.

Since a lot about winning the Nobel prize depends on the field you work in I would expect you would need to get into medical research then. Since achieving a lot in science goes along with getting a lot of grant money being pushy, having a lot of smart graduate students and being politically astute is probably as important as your own research abilities, if not more. The most successful people are not necessarily the nicest people (they can be nice, but that doesn't seem to help much). In short, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Rather do what want to do for love of the subject than expectations of Nobel prizes. Discovering something nobody else knew is common in the field of science, but most of the time it's just such an obscure thing that the only people who are really interested in it are your collegues or sometimes journalists if it makes a nice "another weird things animals do" story.

Go for it. Some of the prizes were even given to people who had no idea what they were doing at the time such as the discovery of helium. If you go into research you will still discover things no one knew before and make a descant living. Laziness and boredom probably won’t hold you back as some of the people that one Nobel prizes owe there discoveries to being high on LSD or other hallucinogenic drugs. Reach for the stars you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

You can do it.

But even if you don't win the Nobel Prize, you can make a significant contribution. Look up the Hunkapiller brothers -- built careers around sequencer technology for proteins and then nucleic acids.

out of interest... shouldn't you be applying for a medical MBBS degree instead? Why are you applying to study Biological sciences? why not Medicine.

I'm not completely sure...this is just my opinion. You can also intercalate a BSc degree...which you get within one year. And after your 6 years...you can go into academic medicine and do a PhD!!!

....the opinion is mine and the choice is yours ;) but discuss with friends, family and teachers...

Source(s): p.s. medicine is really hard to get into! the most competitive subject in the country!