John
Lv 4
John asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Do you think that Ronald Reagan would be spinning in his grave if he found out that?

the US now has to hitch rides from the Russians to get into space? How is this not an embarrassment? especially on the day that China launched its first test module for its space station?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Reagan ran for president continuously for 8 years, from 1972 when he left the governor's office in California until 1980 when he got elected. He spent that whole time traveling around the country making speeches to civic groups, Young Republicans, the Naitonal Press Club, etc . etc.

It was actually the same speech over and over. I heard it myself maybe half a dozen times. In these speeches he always stressed how the US was headed towards disaster because we were carrying too much debt. It was less than a trillion dollars in those days, but Reagan said it was just unacceptable. Even if it was for defense, Reagan said, it was no good, because no nation could truly be strong with a $900 billion debt. If he was president, he said, he would run the country like a company, he would make balancing the budget his first priority.

Well so okay, then we elected him president. And as soon as he was sworn in, Reagan had an 'epiphany'. He realized that debt was good! He doubled the entire national debt in a single term, something no president has done before or since. Well into his second term, Reagan was still insisting that the revenue boost from his tax cuts would balance the budget. He ended up TRIPLING the debt.

It was Reaganomics that got us in the position we're in now. A program of tax cuts that went almost exclusively to the richest of us, coupled with massive stupid deregulation that allowed a few corporations to grow 'too big to fail' so they could gamble with the taxpayers' money. There was a theory at the time that Reagan's real strategy was to build a 'debt bomb' that would drive the country so far in debt that we'd have to abandon social services like Social Security and Medicare and public education and the FDA and the SEC. 30 years later, more and more of us are figuring this out.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Not really, no. For his first few months of Presidency, the US had no usable space vehicle either. There was a gap of several years between the Apollo Missions and the first Shuttle launch.

Only reason there was no cooperation then was how unfriendly the two powers were.

• 8 years ago

Americans walked on the moon and safely returned 42 years ago.

Forty two years!

America won the space race. I'm not impressed that 42 years later, the Chinese just managed a test module.

• 8 years ago

I guess Russia won the cold war in terms of being the only nation with a space program now.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bug
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

No.

It was Reagan who originally wanted to "starve the beast". Just one less government function to fund.

And besides, we can still launch rockets with satellites; we just can't launch humans. And all Ray-Gun cared about was his Star Wars laser defense system, so I think he'd be pleased.

• C B
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

He would have crapped his drawers when the Dems put Social Security in the general fund to spend.

• 8 years ago

no we did Mir before his time

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

he would not have liked it, thats for sure

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.