What is the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 baby food?

I know that some you guys will bash me for what im about to say, so PLEASE DONT DO IT!

I started giving my 4 monthold cereal with some fruits over a month ago due to reflux. YES he is on meds and YES his doctor said to go for it. Well, now he has been cleared for all stage 1 foods. When I had the extra money, i went out and got a ton of stage 1 and stage 2 foods. I have given him some stage 2 foods, the ones he has already eaten like apple sauce, pears, and sweet tators. Theres more but thats just an example. today I looked at the ingred and they are the same! Soo why do they start on those at 5-6 months..if they are the same thing?!!? Someone said thickness is higher..well if thats the case he can be on stage 2 also cause his cereal is pretty thick.

Karen did you read ANYTHING I said? From the looks of it your a nurse, asis my mom. My mom even agreed with his ped. Look, if you dont agree then thats fine BUT dont tell me im lazy and dont want to feed my kid!! He is my second. My first whom is 10 and VERY healthy, had the same problem..acid REFLUX! The only reason we gave it them these boys was because the peds told us to do it! I STILL feed him bottles..matter off fact he gets 3 8oz bottles in a day! I can not STAND people like you who assume! I told you WHY now either dont post or keep your rude a$$ comments to yoru self!

Yo! thats kind of what i was thinking. He has had a couple stage 2 foods like i said..but meats are a no god. Ive tried and one he dont like them and two he dont like them lol. He has had mango 2 times, he did ok with that but he kind of got..clogged up lol. So i stopped those for now. OH and Karen, there are things mommies like ME can do to unclog a baby besides submit them to an ER where he would be screaming MORE and LOUDER with all the pocking you guys would do to him. Its called Pears and Prunes! and at times apple juice from Gerber....so yes I DO know what im talking about. Untill YOU get a baby who is screaming 24 hours a day, and youve tried colic meds, fed him more, burped him, changed him and done everything else under the sun, dont talk to me! YOU have be reported for what you said!

I did NOT push my baby to start solids! He STILL get s FULL bottle, 3 like I said a day..he does NOT miss one single oz of them due to eating. GRR I HATE when people assume!!

Well then would he be ok with stage 2 cause his cereal is pretty thick? I dont give him anything he hasnt eaten. I do try certain ones here and there but i was told only stage 1..

Best Answer

Thank you for asking this question. There are two years between my son and daughter and it scares me how much I have forgotten!

And btw, my pediatrician, who is an MD and whom I also pay a lot of money to seek her professional, college-educated, mommy-self (I love that she gives me the "doctor answer and then the "mommy answer") recommended starting my daughter on baby food around 4 months as well. She has been taking cereal in her bottle since 2 weeks old due to reflux and we thought she was ready to move on. So I guess I am a terrible mommy also for following my doctor's advice and doing what we felt was right for my daughter, who is an individual. There is no black and white when it comes to infants. I trust my doctor - she has been my son's doctor since the day he was born. And considering that he is a very healthy, active, lean 2 and 1/2 year old, I think she knows what she is talking about.

As for the whole "make your own baby food" comment - would LOVE to. However, when you have a 2 and a 1/2 year old son, a 6 month old daughter, work 50+ hours per week, and so on, doing so is not really in my schedule.

Good luck to you - Mommy instincts should override the opinions of strangers on the Internet :)

From a fellow "horrible Mommy"...

Stage 1 sweet potatoes and so on are the same as stage two. No difference except the size. I actually contacted Gerber and asked. They confirmed this so I began buying stage 2 foods and put half of it in a small bowl while saving the second half in the fridge ( it is safe to do this as long as the second half is used within 24 hours). This saved a lot of money since stage 1 containers are half the size and about 20 cents more.

• Pippin

The fact that you have decided to start solids early doesn't mean that there is any rush to increase either amount or variety. His formula intake is already quite low (24 ounces is the bare minimum -- if he'll take 30-36 ounces or more that would be better) and you don't want to reduce it further. If he needs solids to help him hold his milk down, offer JUST enough to do the job.

I'd stick with solids ONCE a day, and, since he's still at increased risk for allergy, limit the number of different foods you offer.

I'd also stick with stage one foods for practical reasons -- at this age he's probably only taking a couple of teaspoons once or twice a day, so there's less waste with the smaller jars/tubs.

• Maria

stage 2 is just thicker than stage 1. your 6 month old should be ok with the stage 2.

I started my oldest on solids when he was 4 months also with the okay of his doctor and he did just fine with it as well. Some babies are ready earlier than others! He was holding his head steady, opening his mouth for the spoon, and showing interest like smacking his lips when we were eating. I agree with you on the prunes helping constipation. One sure fire way to get my guy going was prunes. Even now at 4 years if he eats strawberries or raisins it gets him going. We all know formula fed babies can even get plugged up because of all that iron in the formula. Better fruit than medication! He also took his bottle still like a champ and is now a healthy 4 year old. Now as for your question. Some of it is a little thicker and some of it the only difference is they are mixed flavors like apple and blueberry. Also the jars get a little bigger.

All the people saying babies arent programed to take baby foor a four months need to realize every baby is different like my son for instance who was ready at 4 months for baby food he showed all the signs of it an he still got all the formula he needed an guess what he has no allergys to anything an my daughters pedi recommended i start her on cereal at 4 months due to her acid reflux

Some Stage 2 foods are made of foods that are harder for your baby to digest or that may cause constipation or allergic reactions in young babies (strawberries, apricots). Just like Rice and Oat Cereals are recommended before anything with Wheat as they do not digest wheat yet.

• There is no difference other then consistency. Thicker and more food in a jar. If he is eating it fine then. He should be ok to move to stage 2 on fruits. Just watch some meats may have little peices of food for him to chew or gum lol.

Stage 2 jars are bigger and there are some mixed flavors.

People are so rude on here...Your asking a simple questions....GRRR

They are thicker and contain more. I gave peaches, and pears stage two to my 5 month old daughter. The other ones were too thin for her.

She is now 8 months and has all kinds of food.