what is your SECRET ingredient in Gumbo?

not the usual roux....meat...etc....your secret

Favorite Answer

Add clam juice like 5 8oz bottles

If I told you that, it would not be a secret any more. Hee hee hee. I kid, I kid. I sometimes will use "fresh", spicy venison sausage, (if I'm lucky to get my hands on some after hunting season), and I also put in an extra big can of whole clams with juice, a jar of Clamato and two shots of Bourbon . One shot for the cook and one for the gumbo! What the hell, one more for the cook! Hee hee. A little patience, some love and an acquired taste for venison and you have a nice dinner. Now I'm hungry, dang it! :D

• B.E.I.

Well, it wouldn't be a secret anymore now would it??? I learned to make gumbo from a guy born and raised down in the Bayou, and the only thing better was his (in french-cajun accent) Cajoon Jummmbahhlieaaaahh (jumbalaya)

Okay,fine...but don't tell anyone...Filé powder and adding the right blend of shellfish/seasonings towards the end of a 4-5 hour simmer time.

it's not a secret, its just staying true to the LA roots. I always us andouille for sausage, dark meat for chicken, and the freshest shrimp I can find.

The real secret is that it is always good day one, but for some reason, left over Gumbo is twice as good the next day!

Just made a huge pot over the weekend, still eating on it on Wednesday!

love