Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 8 years ago

Will cities ever be built in Antarctica?

The melting of surface ice will result in conditions appropriate for large-scale human settlement.Even farming and crop growing will be possible by the 2090s in some of the most northerly areas. Air temperatures in the polar regions would have increased more than anywhere else in the world - meaning that parts of Antarctica will be comparable with the climates of Alaska, Iceland and northern Scandinavia.

Will there be a large scale conflict for Antarctica in the coming decades? Land = Power, after all.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago

There are much easier places to farm than Antarctica.

The sorts of "pioneering" economic activity that later lead to larger-scale habitation are things like mining, fishing, and other forms of resource harvesting. These are all banned in Antarctica due to treaties. These would need to be altered first, and I would not expect that to occur.

Greenland, however, is a different story. There's already a long-established population base that does some limited agriculture and is constantly trying to push the boundaries. As temperatures warm, glaciers recede, and new, cold-tolerant crop strains and farming techniques become more established, Greenland will experience orders of magnitude increase in domestic agricultural output and population.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

I hope not.

The only continent left that isn't polluted or messed up very much.

Leave it be. Even if all the ice and snow melts.

• V
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I'm very sure that will happen in future. Not so sure about 2090s. I think it will be in a lot further future.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

nobody wants to live in a cold place like that

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

If that happens then goodbye earth

• Hollie
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Anything is possible.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No it would be unsustainable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.