Is the state of Maryland considered a southern State?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Historically, as noted, Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line. But this line was a border settlement prior to the civil war, and Maryland did not join the confederate states - Maryland fought with the North (Union)

As for whether Maryland is right now considered a southern state, my opinion is no. Parts of Southern Virginia feel very "southern" to me, but northern VA, West Virginia and Maryland do not.

• 9 years ago

The US Census Bureau considers Maryland as a Southern State.

While Maryland did not secede, that is only because the Union wouldn't allow it to do so by military force. The state song of Maryland (which is still the state song to this day) calls for Maryland to fight the Union and uses the phrase "Northern scum".

Maryland doesn't have a system of towns and townships like Northern states and has unincorporated parts of counties like Southern states. It has county police departments, of which there is only 1 in the entire Northeast (Nassau County, NY).

• 9 years ago

Although it technically may be a Southern state I don't consider anything North of Washington, D.C. to be in the South.

• 9 years ago

everything below the Mason Dixon line is the south

like Maryland

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.