Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 9 years ago

overbearing mother in law and sister in law?

I just had a nightmare experience yesterday and I really don't know what to do.

I am dating this single father who is 37 years old, yesterday, it was his first treatment in the hospital also was my first day meeting his family (mom dad and the sister)

I volunteered to make food and wanted to show emotional support to him.

His parents are extremely overbearing and controlling. For example: when we were in the hotel alone, his mom knocked on the door and wanted to check what I was feeding her son. I showed her rice protein, and she said, "It should be okay, but it is not ideal. we tried to feed him almond milk" I showed her other stuff, she said her son could not eat anything NOT organic. I had something stored in the ice chest, she asked, "what is in there, let me check it out." THIS IS THE FIRST TIME SHE MET ME.

When she was in the hospital, she kissed her son's forehead and told me, "we all baby him like that." it makes me sick to my stomach to see this type of emotional obsession to her 37 year old son.

His sister is no better. In the car, she wanted me to sit in the middle, her brother sits on the side, she sits on the side. My two legs got stuck in the middle and it was very uncomfortable. She was so rude and controlling.

I hate this family, but love my boyfriend. What do I do?

Any types of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My boyfriend is in so much emotional pain and physical pain. I don't want to burden him so I kept my mouth shut. When I got home, I cried for hours. I never witnessed this type of family craziness. I think his family is sick.

Another thing I want to add is that I made so much food, and nobody said thank you to me except for my boyfriend. They all criticize the thing I brought him.

Favorite Answer

I have been with my husband for almost 10 years. He also has a psychotic family. His family is full of emotional abuse. Nothing and no one is ever good enough. This family has put me through so much emotional distress, but I am willing to put up with their bs only because of my husband. I think your question should be is this man worth it? My husband means more to me than anything they could ever put me through. And to me he is worth it. :) I hope this was helpful.

• Linda

Yeah, I don't think it was necessary to have told him what you had said. It was between you and your mother, and as you said, you were venting. You have to expect him to get defensive-- it's his mother. But you can sometimes tell him how you feel about her-- that she's overbearing, she doesn't appreciate how the both of you help out, etc. Just don't go on and on, and try not to make it sound like an "attack" on his mother. You can be honest, you can vent, you just want to do it in a classy, respectful way-- use your feelings: "I feel... your mother doesn't appreciate the help I give." In the mean time, apologize to your husband. Explain to him you were venting and it shouldn't have gone that far, and you didn't do it to intentionally hurt anyone. Good luck! Wait-- He isn't your husband, he's your boyfriend? Why did you say Mother-in-law...? Nothing's in "law"-- you aren't married...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I volunteered to make food and wanted to...

Source(s): overbearing mother law sister law: https://tr.im/eIRhY

I have a lot of sugestions, that helped me through a simular problem, takes to long to put here. Write to me BJK711

give them time they will come round it sounds to me like they feel ur approaching on there territory and there space, they have looked after there son and brother for so long then sorry to say this you come into his life try to compramise with them but be firm dont be a pushover eather .