Where can I buy alkyd paint pigment?

I'm trying to mix tremclad (rustolium) rust paint colors togheter. It's not working too well colors are

Not nice and bright. Where can I buy pure paint pigment of different colors to add tothe paint. It's a long oil alkyd paint. Would the small tubes of oil paint from artists stores work to help change colors and would they be compatible. Thank you for your help.

• Donald
    Best Answer

there is NO difference between alkyd (oil-based) and latex ( water based) paint pigments. They are completely compatible. To get the best quality pigments go to a "real" paint store like Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore etc...I would strongly recommend that you let these folks mix your desired color. Trying to tint paint " a little of this color, a little of that color" will drive you crazy, and more than likely you will NEVER match an existing color.

Source(s): My experience of over 25 years as a professional painter.