Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 years ago

My girlfriend wants to eat her placenta. Is this alright if shes a vegan?

Okay, so no stupid answers, even though they would be easy to come up with. So my girlfriend is 32 weeks in and has decided that she wants to eat her placenta. I know it sounds gross and weird, but a lot of animals do it (even herbivores).

I'm just wondering if it is okay for her to eat since she is a vegan and it is meat.

I swear this is a real thing. Heres an article about it. http://www.parents.com/blogs/goodyblog/2…

my bad, http://www.parents.com/blogs/goodyblog/2011/08/eat...

hopefully that link will work

I believe she has plans of grinding it into pills. She has all the information on the correct and safe way to do it.

Although I sometimes find myself participating in the art of trolling, this is not a piece of said art. Honestly, this is important to her so I'm just trying to find the answers.

Favorite Answer

"The word 'veganism' denotes a philosophy and way of living which seeks to end the idea of animals as property and exclude all forms of intentional exploitation of, use of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing, research or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, including people and the environment.

In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

There is nothing non-vegan about it, so if she wants to do it that is fine. It is her body and her choice of what she does with it. I don't think it is gross especially not if you choose to do it. What is gross is drinking another mothers milk thats come in contact with fecal matter and pus, or eating someone else's flesh or something like that.

Anyone saying it is not vegan needs to revisit the definition and understand what it actually means and stop giving people bad answers based off of poor understandings of definitions that in some cases are wholly wrong. The definition above is the most recent and most correct version taking it's roots back to Donald Watson and the Vegan Society he helped found (but with modern additions and clarifications so as to make it stronger)

Source(s): Vegan because animals are not property

Yes it's vegan. Veganism refers to the use of animals by humans (in a nutshell), it has nothing to do with people eating placentas, semen, snot, eyelashes, fingernails... . I've read that because a placenta is so jam packed with nutritious goodies it can help alleviate post natal depression. The alternative is to donate it for stem cell research.

• Suzy Q

Eating your own placenta does not commodify a non-human animal or even another human animal.

Nothing unvegan about this. I can't relate to the wish to do this, but I know it's a growing trend.

Veganism is about consent. If her own body produced it, then there is no issue.

Surely nobody would suggest denying breast milk to the newborn. If it came from her body, she can use it how she wishes.

Now I assume she is not just going to fry it up and eat it? If she consumes it like an omnivore would eat meat, it could make her sick to her stomach. The normal way I've read about involves having someone dry it, grind it, and put it into capsules so she can just take the capsules.

It is completely ok as she as the one who created the placenta is consuing it with what I assume is her own consent.

Just like breastfeeding is vegan as the one bearing the milk is giving the offer. Consuming ones own placenta is vegan as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placentophagy

According to this article, eating the placenta incourages unterine contractions to clean it out and stave off bleeding.

Nursing does the same thing.

I will be willing to bet that once she gets a look at her placenta she will be changing her mind. Until then, have fun finding recipes for it.

thats pretty weird if you ever seen a placenta i think you sure as hell will second guess eating that thing but to each their own

Sure its her own body & parts to do what she will with it as long as its not harming anybody else. Yeah its sort of weird but thats merely because its not normal to do & animals in the wild do it to stop predators.

Though that being said obviously refer to a doctor to make sure its healthy & all that

Source(s): vegetarian

If she's a true vegan, no, it's not OK. It's meat. Pure and simple.

Who cares if the animals do it - even herbivores. She's not going to go out and graze too, is she? (Even vegans don't eat the same plant materials most other herbivores do.) One major reason they do it is because in the wild, they need to get rid of traces of the birth so carnivores aren't attracted to the area and to them and their very vulnerable newborn.

Edited to add: your link doesn't go to an article.

**** no! It's not ok anyone does. That is so weird and to think that I just got home from babysitting and I'm now thinking about that...