Love, Dogs asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Which is better: Wheaten Terrier or Yorkie?

I may be getting a Wheaten Terrier ; or a Yorkie. I have no idea! I hear Yorkies pee EVERYWHERE since they have really small bladders. But then I hear that Wheaten Terriers are aggressive and hard to train. I'm really hoping Wheaten Terriers are not bad dogs, because they are the perfect size for my family ; and if I'm correct, a reasonable energy level, which isn't TOO bad.

Please tell me any concerns and what I need to know about these dogs!

• ak2000
    Favorite Answer

If you have children and are pretty active I'd choose Wheaten over Yorkie. Yorkies are too small and are often more aggressive than larger dogs. But no matter which breed you decide to go with, visit several breeders and meet their dogs. If the parents have good temperaments the puppies will likely be good too. And a good breeder will help you pick a puppy that will better match your lifestyle.

Yorkies are great, but not good with small children because they are frail.

You have to take time to train a yorkie just like any dog. It's the training that matters for potty training

• Sarah

Wheatons are prettier and less yappy. All terriers have a tendency to be a little aggressive and hard to train but as long as you do the proper research and prepare yourself for the training demands you will be fine. I own two Boston Terriers and they were always handled and are never aggressive.

Yorkies are really fragile, so if you have rowdy children I suggest a terrier. Terriers are also more intelligent, which is nice.

any dog can pee anywhere unless trained properly.. all dogs have different characters and both of these are in the toy group and have good disposiotions.. but i agree and think wheaton is a better choice

you could pretty much get any puppy as long as you train them as well as you can when they are young, they'll make mistakes and you'll have to be firm on them to give them the impression that they did the wrong thing