Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 9 years ago

Why are you all so willing to let the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE America's staple of life die off?

I work for the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE and I say that proudly. Just as you have said that you work for the people of the UNITED STATES so do all of the 100,000's of thousand of postal brothers and sisters. We took an oath to service the AMERICAN PEOPLE just like all of you do, whether it is as President or any part of Congress. I find it funny that the people in Government are saying that Postal Employees are over paid, yet the jobs that you want to cut are the ones that are doing the physical work to get the work done and out to the people 6 days a week. Instead of cutting our physical jobs why not take a look at cutting Management and all the way up to the top. What we see as a worker on the floor is that those are the people who are over paid and over staffed. What they make is 3 times if not more than I make. I would have to probably work 3 years to make what they do in one. They also never listen to suggestions from the workers who do that job everyday. HUM now you would think since we do that job we would know what works best. My question is how in good faith could you the Government Officials allow the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE that have been around way back to sum of the first Presidents be put in jeopardy. We bring in revenue that will be lost if you close the Plants down or change there delivery days. That is like shooting yourself in the foot. It will make everyone want to pay bills online. The American economy is down, and you have sent business out of the country, now the only one that has been a true American staple of life and you want to tare it all down. What are all of you thinking. We can't even afford to send are kids to college anymore and even if they do go to college they can't find a job after graduation, because there are no jobs.

Favorite Answer

I'm sure lots of people in the saddle and buggy industries felt the same way when the car replaced the horse as the primary means of local transportation.

There's still a place for the Post office and the Postal System. But the need is not nearly as great as it used to be. Let's face it, may notes and documents that used to be sent by mail are now sent by email. It's instant and it's practically free.

It's time to slim down to suit the current demand, or find ways to increase demand. For instance, I think there is still an opportunity for the Post Office to provide some sort of Secure encrypted way of emailing to someone, where a person also gets a verifiable receipt from the Post office that the email has been read. The email version of registered or certified mail. But I don't see that coming from the post office.

If management is bloated, fine, then slim that down as well.

• Kini

Under the Bush Admin, Republicans in Congress passed a measure to force the USPS to pre-fund its retirement pensions and health care funding within a 5-year period to force them to close down and turn all mail private. 2011 was the deadline to do this and they could not get that much funding so that is the reason for cutting down. That is what Republicans want. They see the profit to be made in the mail business and want some of the action. They dont like any revenue going to the government even though Ronald Reagan made the post office a quasi-government agency in 1981.

For the same reasons we let the ice man, the gas lamp lighter, and the bone and rag man, all die off.

Times change.

Either change with them, or stay a government employee.

A government that still had elevator operators in their automatic elevators.

A government that still had ice delivers to their Senate offices even though those offices were air conditioned.

A government that still listed "wool" as a strategic material fifty years after they stopped using it in uniforms.

If there is not a need for the service, as it is now, why artificially prop it up?

sorry we can afford the benefits and pensions.