Isn't it ironic that the country that began Western Civilization will also be the end of Western Civilization?

Greece

6 Answers

Relevance
  • RS
    Lv 5
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Greece is an example of we don't have to spend when we don't have for personal grudge only. Remember the Olympics they hosted which has created this problem. IOC should be partly responsible for letting countries that are on the edge of bankruptcy to host games. Sad...........

• 3 years ago

Western civilization began with Greece. Will it end with Greece? No, yet that should be very scary if it did. Western Civilization began with ROME Rome blanketed the finest of Greek civilization into their personal civilization and then improved upon it. No civilization became born in a vacuum.

• 8 years ago

Western Civilization is not a place. Indeed, it is a centuries-old compilation of ideals whose universal appeal cannot be killed for they live within the breast of every man.

You may "kill" Greece but you could never, ever, erase the meanings of Marathon & Thermopylae. If France vanished there would always be Tours. Should catastrophe strike down America Concord Bridge would live on.

• 8 years ago

A few brilliant people,who happened to be Greek, succumbed to Roman rule 2,000 years ago. Rome, in turn, through its own sloth, succumbed to Barbarian rule not long after. Whether it is a dagger waved across our throats or a purse dangled before our eyes, we humans behave like the animals we are - driven by instincts of self preservation and self aggrandizement. There is no absolute right or wong; in a democratic society there is only what works for the majority of people, and what doesn't. Western civilization, going through its gyrations from left to right and back again, is faced by only one threat,and that is from Islam. Islamists are the most single-minded people I know. I have lived among them in their countries, and have lived among them in mine. The demands of their religion are as strenuous as a boot camp and all of them go through it. They are hardened far more than we. Who among us would immolate ourselves in the name of our religion?

What greater symbol of belief could there be?

We scoff at the religion born and preserved in ethos of a fly-blown medieval desert, but thence comes a power that neither the right nor left have taken seriously, yet it is a power that exceeds that of both our right and our left. It is the power of widespread resolve.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

greeks peaked relatively quickly....they get too much credit in my mind...

• 8 years ago

Very.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.