Nelly
Lv 4
Nelly asked in SportsHockey · 8 years ago

What are your thoughts on what Laraque has to say about the NHL and the use of steroids?

Georges Laraque just released his biography and apparently he claims that the NHL has a problem with performance enhancing drugs/steroids etc. He did not mention specific names but he believes the league is not doing enough about it. Do you think steroids etc. are a big problem in the NHL or do you think he's just creating drama to sell his book?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379721

Update:

Jacq hope you see this, next jets/habs match-up will be 5-1 habs AGAIN :)

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Firstly, one must discuss how steroids work to see whether they would be of use in the NHL. Anabolic steroids do not make someone bigger and stronger. They are used to restore damaged muscles to their whole state, usually leaner and stronger. So taking anabolic steroids wouldn't make one necessarily bigger or stronger but it would allow one to recover from muscular injury much faster.

Would hockey players find this of benefit? To quote Rowan and Martin, You can bet your sweet bippy it would.

The NHLPA has fought drug testing for ages. But the real problem in the NHL is amphetamines. These used to be taken like candies before a game. Today the use is much more subtle. Maybe Laraque will do what Pound failed at.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS >>

If the IOC requests HGH blood tests for Sochi will the NHLPA players be willing to go along with the action? The IOC requires out of competition testing for steroids and their ilk. When does an NHL athlete receive the greatest benefit from steroid use? Answer >> During the off season conditioning work. This is when the players have the greatest strength gain and weight gain. When a player is out with an injury (muscle or bone type) the doctors will prescribe whatever is necessary to speed recovery. Often HGH or Anabolics are part of the regimen. I have been on the same for a number of medical reasons. Steroids are normal in cancer treatment and strained backs as simple examples.

If the NHL instituted full WADA type testing then the league could say that they were drug free. As for players use of same under the present climate it is not very likely that the use would be in the open and the training rooms would never resemble an opium den.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

Hi

Tom, while the NHLPA can fight the NHL on testing policy doesn't the majority of the players fall under the international testing policies that are much stricter than any leagues? I ask this because it seems this would limit the NHL from having the same issues that the NFL and MLB have with the big name players offending and limit it to the grinders and the enforcers like the author of the book.

In the end, Laraque is following the example of many before him, say something outrageous and sell more books, but never actually back it up.

Thank You

• Ms. A
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

It's not far-fetched to believe PED's/whatever the junk is called/steroids are used in the NHL... or any other league. There is just so much at stake. These leagues/teams don't wait for anyone (unless you're a very marketable player). If you can't stay on top of you're game... the game will move on without you. And there will always be players who will go to great lengths to keep their careers alive for as long as possible. Hockey/NHL is not immune to this.

Could he be saying this to create buzz for his book? It's possible but that doesn't mean it's all lies. If he really wanted to sell his book wouldn't he be throwing out names or bigger "hints"? He played for many years and has the "inside scoop" however at the end of the day there is no evidence so it's mere opinion/story on his part until proven otherwise.

• The NHL has sent players to FOUR olympic games (which operate on seperate drug testing protocols than the NHL). How many of those potential players tested positive for banned substances? One- Jose Theodore who tested positive because he was using Propecia (helps with male pattern baldness and happens to be on the IOC banned list). If Laraque was correct, then surely you'd have someone test positive for something (the NFL and MLB don't have to worry about falling under IOC protocols as they don't sent athletes to the Olympics).

Laraque tries to hide behind the "yes but their performance dips during Olympic years" lie. Unfortunately, there is zero statistical evidence to back any of this up (while there are deviations, any difference in production of <10% in PPG is largely circumstancial and can be attributed to a number of factors). I looked at 25 Olympians from four countries who have played in multiple Olympics...none of the 25 had any significant dips/drops in production.

Is there a problem with steroids? No. If there is a drug that has potential for abuse it would be HGH because it specifically helps with recovery and doesn't have the side effects that steroids do (plus, steroids might help you bulk up, but they are brutal with your endurance; watch a body builder try to run any length and they seize up).

The NHLPA is doing what any union would do- protect their members' rights (and by that, not subjecting them to drug testing).

Year-round testing would probably not be a bad thing (or at least tack on one "out of competition" test to the existing three in-season tests) but like anything else, this has to be negotiated into the CBA. Laraque, I would assume, knows this.

Nobody can independently verify what Laraque is saying, and I can't refute and confirm his allegations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

interesting yet i do no longer probably like it. What happens while the goalie freezes the %.. can we've a face-off lower back till now the penalty starts. what's going to finally end up happening via fact the already penalized group will take a 2d penalty at circumstances and then its 6-4. it could artwork yet may well be a difficulty for the officers as you properly know. If the objective is larger scoring on the PP why no longer make communities serve the entire 2 minutes no remember if the PP group scores or no longer. Like a substantial penalty at present, the entire penalty might would desire to be served, in actuality formerly while that became into the rule of thumb till the Habs of previous have been given too effecient on the PP. comparable result yet no genuine differences to officiating or how the activity is performed. As an aside did you notice Ottawa very almost positioned it of their very own internet against Boston on a at the back of schedule penalty Saturday nighttime.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Nelly!!!

I read about this over the weekend.

Actually I think honestly that steroids and HGH are probably common among a majority of professional athletes, including NHLers.

It wouldn't be so much for strength, although that would be a plus. I think it would be used more for recovery time, since it's such a long and brutal season.

But I would also agree that he is certainly creating drama to sell his book. Of course.

Most of the professional leagues are in silent mode about growth hormones. See no evil, hear no evil.

Source(s): Jets 3 Canadiens 1
  • 8 years ago

Look George never said guys are high on steroids in the nhl, All he said there should be manditory drug tests and blood tests, All these people are dumb calling larauqe wortless and a goon, He's a good guy and knows allot, He is a hero in my eyes.

• Snid
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Without being able to show proof it's just heresay and I'd say he's creating drama. Although I have heard the amphetamines "rumor" for years.

We only have to look at the three tragic deaths last summer to know there is an issue with abuse in the NHL.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

laraque is a ******* goon. The only thing he could ever do was drop the mitts. he is only creating drama because hockey is nothing like football or baseball for steroid use

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I think he is just creating drama. I find it funny that all of sudden, when he no longer dresses for NHL games, he brings this up. Years ago when he was skating out there, he kept his mouth completely shut and got paid to 'play'

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.