Is moving to Mendocino County a good idea?

I live in Yolo County (about a 2.5 hour drive away) and I am 20 years old, just starting out in life. Once I get my accounting degree, I want to live somewhere quiet, in the forest, and I think that the redwoods forests of the California coast are breathtakingly beautiful. Since Mendocino is relatively close, I could enjoy the nature and a small-town life while still being able to see my family in the Sacramento valley. I know that finding an accounting job in such a rural place might be difficult, but then again, accountants are needed almost everywhere.

I am fully aware of Mendocino county's marijuana industry. I'm basically "420-ambivalent". I'm not actively against smoking/growing pot, but I'm not involved with it either. Basically I just want to stay out of the whole thing and leave all that strife to someone else.

I realize that it might be unusual for someone to move to Mendocino for a reason other than growing a drug, but I feel that since I have such a valuable opportunity to live somewhere so beautiful, I should take advantage of it.

Thoughts?

I should add that I'm quite left-wing politically, although I can't say that I look or behave like a hippy. I'm going into accounting because I'm good at it, not to be rich. I actually don't expect to become rich at all. I just want to be comfortable. I've spent my entire life living low income, so honestly, being comfortable is all I ask for.

Also, to the person commenting on Yolo County; I actually agree with most of what you're saying. And yes, the economy is pretty bad here, but we manage ok. There are actually some nice aspects to this county, but it's far from perfect. I could definitely go somewhere prettier.

Anyway, thanks for your comments everyone; I'm gonna hold out for a bit before I pick a Best Answer.

• Angela
    Favorite Answer

Mendocino County is awesome to visit, I'm not sure about living there though. I rented a house once on the cliff overlooking the ocean in Manchester, and it was gorgeous. I'd just sit there on the back porch and watch the ocean and the fog roll in. It's not all marijuana fields, haha. I think that's more in Humboldt County. Oh, and good luck with a high paying Accounting job up there. The further north you go in California, the economy seems to get worse. Look at the real-estate pricing and you'll see what I'm talking about. If the housing prices are low, you're not going to get paid very well. Anyways, I think it's beautiful for scenery but I wouldn't think about living there as an Accountant. It's very hippie-esh, don't you think?

In the end, anything is better than Yolo County. Especially if it was in Woodland. Yuck. Davis is a nice place though. I like Davis because it seems to be a little more classier.

Anywho, it's up to you!

Nop i think its trollvill us