why are there different green lantern comic books?

to day i went to the local comic book store and bought my first comics green lantern corps 1 and 2 and while i was there i saw other ones like the new green lantern and brightest day and different types of green lantern comic books same goes with the justice league and justice league international i dont get it why so many different ones i thought it was all the same why do they have different names i just one that tells their whole story line without going crazy looking for different comic with different names please help if so which one tells the story line with out going back and fourth because the different ones have volume 1

Update:

out of all the green lantern comics which one has hal jordan in it like example in the lantern corps or the new lantern or brightest day

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Different casts of characters, and the books are popular, for the time being.

In the case with GL, last time I looked one book was about the two guys on Earth, another was about the two in space, and the third came about after the Red Lanterns proved to be "hot", am I right?

This sort of thing happens with _every_ comic book out there: once it becomes popular enough it goes from once a month to 2, 3 or 4 times a month. It's basically about selling fans what they want to read, imagine that.

Source(s): Last time I checked, and this was before the recent DC Relaunch, the main _Green Lantern_ comic had Jordan and Stewart in it. That should still be the case: _Corps_ really is more about the whole Corps, not just the stray earthers.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

In the current "New 52" promotion of the DC (September 2010), they have 4 titles under the Green Lantern title. 'Green Lantern' that features Hal Jordan, 'Green Lantern Corps' that features John Stewart and Guy Gardner as well as other members of the Corps from time to time, 'Green Lantern New Guardians' that features Kyle Rayner, and the 'Red Lanterns' which has no Green Lanterns on it except notable members of the Red Lantern Corps which were introduced in the preparation of the 'Blackest Night' event for DC (2009-2010).

The titles of the DC Comics that had the New 52 on it is the relaunch of every title that they had. I believe they had started Superman's story from the beginning again but not for Batman. The same goes with the Justice League. They had recreated the origin of the team with issue #1 of the New 52 brand. Justice League International by the way is a group of superheroes coming from different nations that deals with international issues. This goes along in the New 52 brand but not sure if this goes along with the Justice League timeline.

With the Green Lantern titles in the New 52 brand, they had continued the events that started with Blackest Night, Brightest Day, and War of the Green Lanterns and not rebooted their stories. (thus the existence of the Red Lanters and New Guardians). Blackest Night and Brightest Day originally started from the Green Lantern story arc but eventually led in an entire DC Universe event.

Basically Blackest Night and Brightest Day are from the Pre-New 52 storylines but still plays a significantly in the stories that are in the occurring Green Lantern titles.

• 8 years ago

Green Lantern was popular enough to support more than one book and most of DC's other characters can't support a title for longer than a few issues so corporate logic dictates that more Green Lantern titles must be produced for the market place.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.