Why can't my Xbox connect to Xbox Live?

i've had an xbox 360 for a few years now, and i've always been able to connect to the internet and live using an ethernet cable. however, recently, i've been unable to. its very frustrating because i can't figure out what changed with anything. when i go to system settings-->network settings--> wired connection, i just get a pointless pop up message saying "to use a wired internet connection, make sure an ethernet cable is connected to both your console and your router or modem."

any help is greatly appreciated.

Update:

if you want to know any more details just ask, i dont know a whole lot about computers and will try my best to answer

Update 2:

@Scott: Thanks for the reply. however, i have confirmed that the port works. i plugged my macbook into said port and disabled wifi and was able to access the internet normally. and therefore the router is working too... right? i dont think this is the problem.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

it sounds like you ether net isn't working, try the obvious things first restart the internet (yes I mean modem, any routers, and xbox) If that doesn't fix it, then I would call Microsoft and explain your issue, I know from personal experience that the Microsoft customer service staff are very friendly (yes they all speak english) and very helpful.

But either your modem / router or you xbox ethernet port is broken....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.