In the ground-state electron configuration of Fe3+, how many unpaired electrons are present?

I thought it was 6.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Electronic configuration of the element Fe is: [Ar] 3d^6 4s^2

When 3 electrons are removed to form Fe^3+ the electronic configuration is: [Ar] 3d^5 In this case you can only have a maximum of 5 unpaired electrons. So, you thought wrong.

The chemical environment of the Fe^3+ will ultimately determine whether you have 5 unpaired electrons or just 1 unpaired electron, assuming an octahedral environment surrounding the Fe^3+ ion. Other environments are also possible, like tetrahedral. You haven't given enough information to determine this question so I am assuming that the 2nd paragraph is what you are seeking.

Hope this is helpful to you. JIL HIR

• 4 years ago

the respond is 5. bear in concepts Hund's Rule electrons prefer to be by using themselves.The configuration is [Ar] 3d6 4s2 yet you're able to account for the three extra protons. So the configuration is now (29-26=3)[Ar] 3d5 So, a million a million a million a million a million (5 unpaired electrons) interior the d orbital

• Answers 5 for the reasons the guy stated above. Dunno why anyone would thumbs down him ... I mean he is right.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.