In the ground-state electron configuration of Fe3+, how many unpaired electrons are present?

I thought it was 6.

Favorite Answer

Electronic configuration of the element Fe is: [Ar] 3d^6 4s^2

When 3 electrons are removed to form Fe^3+ the electronic configuration is: [Ar] 3d^5 In this case you can only have a maximum of 5 unpaired electrons. So, you thought wrong.

The chemical environment of the Fe^3+ will ultimately determine whether you have 5 unpaired electrons or just 1 unpaired electron, assuming an octahedral environment surrounding the Fe^3+ ion. Other environments are also possible, like tetrahedral. You haven't given enough information to determine this question so I am assuming that the 2nd paragraph is what you are seeking.

Hope this is helpful to you. JIL HIR

the respond is 5. bear in concepts Hund's Rule electrons prefer to be by using themselves.The configuration is [Ar] 3d6 4s2 yet you're able to account for the three extra protons. So the configuration is now (29-26=3)[Ar] 3d5 So, a million a million a million a million a million (5 unpaired electrons) interior the d orbital

• Answers 5 for the reasons the guy stated above. Dunno why anyone would thumbs down him ... I mean he is right.