Do you have to commute daily to/from work &/or school? Do you find it annoying?Why?

Hello guys, Yet again I rely on you to find some answers. Nowadays, many of us need to commute 1-4 hours daily to get and come back from work or school Annoying and inconvenient as it is we still do it - if its the right job or the right school/uni. At this point I would like to ask you guys - this is only for the people who actually need to commute- what are the problems you encounter in your daily journeys? i.e. is it the traffic or perhaps the delays of the public transport?or do you choose to ride the bike, if so why?

I need your answers for academic purpose only - please notify me if you do not wish to be quoted in my research

I really appreciate your help. TNX a lot

Favorite Answer

About 12 to 18 years ago I was self employed as a computing consultant, so I had to travel to wherever my skills were needed. At one time I was driving almost 1,000 miles a week, which as you can imagine was not fun. I was having to service my car every 6 weeks, and I couldn't afford the time off work to send it to a garage, so I had to service it myself at weekends.

Later I managed to negotiate work nearer to home, and by now was earning enough to purchase a motorcycle to reduce my travel costs. I was still doing some 30,000+ miles a year by motorcycle, and another 12,000 miles a year in my car.

One thing I will mention is that one day there was an accident on the main road, and I had to filter through some five miles of stationary cars on my motorcycle. I managed to arrive at work on time.

The following week on a day when my motorcycle was being serviced, and I was in my car, there was another accident at the same spot. I was over an hour late getting to work, and as a consultant I was paid by the hour, so I had to work late to make up the time.

On another occasion I injured my left foot, and as I had a manual car, couldn't operate the clutch. It was a viable option to hire an automatic car to get to work, since I couldn't get there by public transport as it was 75 miles each way. I had the auto for two weeks before I could drive my own car again.

Some years later due to the changes in technology I had to have a career change, and started to work closer to home. I realised that my main use for the car was to get to work, which was only about 3 miles, so I sold the car, and started cycling to work. If I needed a car, for holidays or whatever, I hired one. The total hire costs over a year was about the same that I had been paying for insurance when I owned a car, so I was saving the fuel, servicing, and depreciation costs.

Later, when I was working some 13 miles from home I had either a motorcycle or car, but I still used to cycle to work whenever I could, usually 2 to 3 times a week.

Now I have the ideal commuting environment, but at a cost.

Some two and a half years ago my partner became disabled, and I had to give up work to care for her. I only use my car to transport my partner (or other family members) and if I need to get anywhere on my own I cycle, or use public transport.

You are welcome to quote any of this in your research, and if you want any verification, email me via my profile.

Source(s): Personal experience.
  • Beery

I commute to take my daughter to school. We go by bicycle. I don't find it annoying. On the contrary, it's usually the best part of my day. Fresh air, exercise. If there's a traffic jam a bike can move around it, but most often I just wait my turn - after all, if you're taking a bike, there's never a hurry. Then there's the self-confidence that cycling in traffic - mixing it up with cars and trucks - brings. And no gasoline required.

We don't ever commute far - 3 miles tops - but that's because my wife and I always choose a place to live where we can cycle and walk everywhere we need to go.

So many people think cycling is dangerous, but statistically it's the safest form of personal transportation. I think people are crazy to drive a <5 mile commute when there's the option of biking it. It's fricken nuts - I feel like I've found the perfect vehicle and virtually no one else wants to try it, and even if they do try it, they don't seem to like it, LOL. It's a trade-off I guess - they're willing to accept a big monthly gasoline bill and a crazy-long commute in relative comfort: I'd rather live close to everything, get a bit of exercise and spend the extra time and money I save by not commuting 10/20/30 miles by car on things I want to spend them on.

Hey there,

I commute 5 days a week to my school. I choose to drive because I live about 30 minutes away from my college, so it makes no sense wasting thousands of dollars to stay on campus. My commute involves 90% highway, and traffic is never really a problem unless construction is going on. The only cons I feel about commuting are hefty gas prices (I drive an SUV and get roughly 18mpg) and finding parking at my school (depending on how large your school is or how many commuters there are greatly effects how hard finding parking will be). I usually end up leaving early enough to get to my college 20-30 minutes before my first class, enough time to get find a decent parking space.

Source(s): College senior that's been commuting for 3+ years.

For me it's all about having to spend money to work. In my opinion, it would be nice to see some companies compensate their top employees via a bonus or something for always showing up on time even in the worst weather/traffic conditions. My commute is 40 minutes & I can say I spend about $50/wk in gas. Though I could choose a better car for efficiency reasons, 40 minutes in a car does require a certain level of comfort. I drive a 2010 Malibu, but I know I could get a smaller car & save gas. Though I would simply be uncomfortable in it.

I drive to uni every day, I live 40 minutes away so it makes sense to drive, kind of.

The majority of the way there the limit is 50mph :/

I had a petrol mini but just got a diesel for travelling to uni about a month ago so doesn't cost me As much anymore, was costing £10 a day

Because the time spent travelling to and from work is dead time, mostly the route is the same, and it all falls into routine.

One solution would be to live closer to work or school but it's just not plausible in the long term.

The best solution would be shortening the time span spent in these '' dead'' hours or using public transportation / subway to evoid getting stuck in traffic :)

the dull one. if so I'd be ready to create my possess amusing as a substitute than sitting via the worrying one, getting angry and ultimately become bored via the the steady annoyance. except it's real that best dull humans become bored. XD

Yes, 20 miles each way, and it can take up to an hour each way, ON THE HIGHWAY.