Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Would religious parents be okay with their children learning evolution?

Would parents, say for example, who are Christian or Catholic, be alright if they children were taught about evolution?

What would you say would be problematic, in your sense, about teaching them evolution?

Concerning the idea of evolution, what do you guys think about when the topic of how chimpanzees are closely related to us? I've kept this question about primates very broad so people could express their beliefs and please give a place of where you heard about this topic and what you got out of it. For example, you might have heard that we are closely related to chimpanzee's through articles or news networks.

You have an interesting point of view Tim. However, I believe when we humans tend to believe in something we particularly see fit to our worldview, and stick to that belief. I acknowledge your way of seeing it, but I would like to explain to you on how i see things. I'm assuming that you are more interested into the physical sciences? I'm pretty sure you will learn that there are always exceptions in science; it's a pain. I quite don't understand on what you are saying about mutations, however, mutations are crucial to all evolutionary change because it's the only source of completely new genetic material, which increases variation. It's evident that without mutations, you, me and everyone else wouldn't be immune to certain infectious diseases.

It's certain that bananas have several strands of DNA that are similar to ours, but we must consider other aspects that consider whether a species is closely related to another species: do they have asexual or sexual reproduction, does the spe

-_-, the rest of the part didn't go through. Sorry everyone.

I would like to share that the reason why I find this interesting is that, because of science, we are here today because of it: medicine such as antibiotics, vaccinations, advance technology. We may take it for granted but, everything we have and use in our everyday lives is through science. One example i like to share is evolution has shown resistant and deadly strains of Staphylococcus bacteria, tuberculosis, and E. colo. These guys are a few examples that mutate so quickly, that just making MORE medicine won't help. This is why understanding evolution plays in and knowing how we can "reverse" this process, as this idea is a suggestion.

Favorite Answer

My children attend Catholic schools and the scientific theory of evolution is taught there and I have no problem with that. Evolution is the best natural way we have to explain the diversity of life we have on earth. Plus my husband (who is also a practicing Catholic) is a scientist and so feels it's important that our children have a correct understanding of science - what it is and how it works. (Creationists have a tendency to misstate/misunderstand how science actually works.)

My children also learn that science is not contradictory to faith. God is the one Creator. Evolution is the tool he used to create the diversity of life we have.

As for chimpanzees being closely related to us, I have no problem with that either. As I understand it our DNA is something like 99% similar. However, God did not give chimpanzees an eternal soul as He did for humans - which is a big difference in the matter of faith and religion.

• unland

Because evolution is a systematic truth, identical to physics and math. But, if you're so satisfied that your faith is right, why no longer take a seat by way of the category and check out to end up the clinical neighborhood flawed? Maybe... you can honestly study some thing approximately your universe rather of residing along with your head stick within the sand that's devout rhetoric.

Christianity ( which includes Catholicism) doesn´t necessarily contradict evolution, since the Adam and Eve parable could have occurred at any time near the beginning of creation (God says 6 days but this is probably metaphorical.)

So say apes evolved into human like creatures over many millions of years, and at some point God chose to give them a soul and superior intelligence, and they became human beings. The body structure evolved from chimps, but the soul came from God. The Bible hardly ever speaks in the human time frame and many parables are just to give examples of a teaching. No problem.

• Robin

Religious parents have no choice in most places these days...evolution is taught everywhere as if it were fact and any suggestion that a God might have played any part in creation is ridiculed. As a christian parent I was delighted my kids had a rounded education and considered it my duty to teach them to think for themselves and always question.

The biggest problem with teaching evolution is that the concept is so very simple but in practice there are so many gaps and inconsistencies. We simply can't follow a straight line from one species to another. But as soon as anyone dares to question.... people jump up and down saying they must be a religious fanatic. Personally I don't care at all... however this world came to be... it is a wonderful place. I would like to behave more outrageously towards people who deny any spiritual element because I find that ridiculous.

If you think your relatives look like chimpanzees.... you are welcome to believe whatever you want.

I don't see a problem in any child learning a theory. It is a theory, not fact.

Your separate beliefs can be more mainstream, but at least give a child the right to learn everything, instead of having a biased path.

I am an Atheist, and I just smoked some marijuana, so I am a little happier.

whats the point? im not religious at all, but there is actually know evidence at all for evolution. zero. no missing links. even if there was there should be a **** stupid number of them like 5,000,000 of them. it doesn't work if something has an advantages mutation the creature would have to evolve not one bit. life doesn't work like that. also you can't gain information from nothing as far a physics is concerned you can only lose it. not meant to rant sorry, but no.

did you know we are also related to bananas. more than half our dna is from a banana. teach them that and they will laugh just as they should laugh if they are taught we have magically evolved from a dot of nothing exploding to a monkey to you. chances of that are 1*10^-53. (one times ten to the power of minus 53) even Hawkins said chances of evolution happening in unlimited time would be pretty much none existent. Im still working things out but make a judgment without bias ( a clear mind) and see that evolution simply doesn't work. ive read Richard dawkins books, im 16 and i can disprove everything he says in them.

• Nia

I am Pagan.

I have no problem with my child being taught about evolution.

Why not? To not teach her that would mean hiding very important theories.Thus not giving her the chance to make her own mind up.

• Ren

Well, if their children attend a public school then they are basically allowing their children to learn about Evolution in biology class. Otherwise there are religious schools to learn about Creationism. The strange thing is....is that I don't understand why they would allow their children to attend a biology class to learn about Evolution but then they are not allowed to dissect a frog because its against their religion...that I don't get.

Source(s): Atheist.

my parents are very religious and they believe that creationist is just a bunch of nonsense and threatened to smack me if i believe in it. luckily i don't :)

smart question .