Writers: Do you prefer praise or criticism?

• Hazel
    Favorite Answer

Well I'd want constructive criticism because usually that includes what you need to work on and what you're doing well with. I'd much rather know what I need to work on because otherwise I'll never improve, and it'll be harder to take the criticism later on. Constructive criticism is helpful because it gives me something to work with. While it's nice to hear you're going well with your story, it leaves you at a dead end because you're unsure what to fix and what needs better developing. Sometimes I'm too close to the story to see it myself so it's nice to have someone point out those flaws for me.

If we're talking criticism without the constructive part, as in just bashing than I'd take the praise. Honestly I'd rather have an ego boost regardless of the truth, than have everything torn down and fill me with self doubt. At least when all I get is praise I know I still have to work on stuff, I don't just believe that it's perfect, I recognize my flaws. But when I'm told I'm writing trash, I'm more inclined to believe it. I only want the criticism if it's going to help.

Both, to become a better writer, you need constructive criticism and praise inspires you to keep on going. But of the two, the more important is criticism.

• SarahJ

It depends. Sometimes the praise can be helpful. Something like, "Your story is very good! I really liked how you [insert] and how you included the [insert], it really showed that you [insert]!" That is good praise. I don't like the type of praise that goes, "Wow! Your story is really good! Goodbye!" That's not helpful, and it's not even praise to me, because it just sounds like they are in a rush and they really do not care.

Now criticism on the other hand. It depends, too. Mean criticism can be very hurtful. Like this: "Your story seriously sucks. You had no [insert], and your [insert] was so poorly written, you will never succeed, just give up right now because you have no talent." That is mean and hurtful, and not encouraging at all. Criticism is supposed to help people. Not discourage them. But constructive criticism is very, very valuable. Like this: "I really think you should improve on [insert] because your [insert] wasn't the best, but I think if you really try to [insert] then you will get better at [insert]." Now that is very good criticism. But the last type of criticism is particularly bad. It's worse than mean criticism. It goes like this: "Your story sucks. Bye." That is hurtful, and mean, and pathetic, and it hurts even more than the first type of criticism, because they are saying that your writing is bad, and they are also saying how they really couldn't care less to explain WHY it was bad.

So it really depends on the giver of the criticism, and how they deliver it.

• Seal

In the sense of feels better, praise, obviously. :D But if it's all praise and no criticism, you don't really appreciate the feedback. The opposite's more appreciated, but I think a balance of both is best: the praise tells you what's fine/what you don't need to change, and gives you motivation to keep on writing. The criticism tells you what you do need to change.

But if I were only to have one, I'd get criticism and go gather a few hugs to make myself feel better D':

It goes hand in hand. Praise can give you motivation to finish a story, while criticism can help you improve your writing. A novel can not survive on criticism alone. Both are necessary.

A good example is J.K. Rowling got a grant to finish Harry Potter, which I count as a form of praise. Now, if I got a grant like she did, I'd be done in a week.

But honestly, you can't survive on just one.

I like cathrl's answer of "honesty" - praise or criticism, whichever I deserve more.

When I'm still working on the book, I'd prefer criticism, so I can make the book better. When the book is officially finished, and I've got to the point of asking people to pay for it, I'd prefer praise, but will settle for criticism, so I can make the next book better.

• ?

Both. I don't like it balanced though. I prefer more criticism to praise, since criticism is going to help me improve (though I much prefer criticism on my grammar and punctuation, rather than other elements of it, since some parts don't make sense at all out of context).

Praise, definitely. I hate criticism, but of course, criticism does help a bit.

Well praise is wonderful, but *constructive* criticism will do more good in the long run.

Preferably a balance between the two.

I prefer praise, of course, but I actually need constructive criticism to motivate me. I work best when I feel like I need to prove myself.