Hob asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

When the next Republican president spends like Obama can we stop pretending they are fiscally responsible?

Seeing as almost none (sans Ron Paul) of the Republican candidates are talking about meaningful cuts to the budget and that the Republican controlled House couldn't come up with any meaningful cuts a few months ago, I have every expectation that the next Republican president (if it isn't Ron Paul) will make any meaningful cuts. They've never made cuts in the past either. Has a Republican president during the last 30-40 years ever been fiscally responsible or made any meaningful cuts in government? Who are we kidding with this crap?

@Mr Wolf: I see nothing in your figures that indicates anything more than a steadily increasing budget following the trend line. I have every expectation that the next Republican will continue the trend.

@Robert: Ron Paul is my hero. Not Obama.

@Mr Wolf: Sorry, misunderstood. Yes you are right. Helping me to prove my point that Republicans can spend just as well if not more than Obama.

Favorite Answer

The NEXT republican president? I hope I don't live to see such a thing!

Wasn't the LAST republican president all the proof anyone needs of the failure of republican policies?

Yeah, Bush dined and dashed,, and stuck Obama with the bill.

That's the republicans idea of responsible spending. Making sure SOMEONE cleans up the MESS they create......but it sure as heck won't be THEM! That, you can count on.

"Has a Republican president during the last 30-40 years ever been fiscally responsible or made any meaningful cuts in government?" The answer is no. Which is funny considering their selling point is small government.

ANNUAL FIGURES FROM THE OFFICE OF MANAGEMENT AND BUDGET FOR TOTAL FEDERAL OUTLAYS:

Fiscal year 2001: $1.86 trillion

Fiscal year 2002: $2.01 trillion

Fiscal year 2003: $2.16 trillion

Fiscal year 2004: $2.29 trillion

Fiscal year 2005: $2.47 trillion

Fiscal year 2006: $2.66 trillion

Fiscal year 2007: $2.73 trillion

Fiscal year 2008: $2.98 trillion

Fiscal year 2009: $3.52 trillion President Bush

Fiscal year 2010: $3.46 trillion President Obama

FYI

The 2010 deficit was lower than the 2009 deficit.

I guess you missed this part:

THAT IS A DECREASE!

Source(s): “I’m a big fan of criticizing Obama’s profligacy, but it is inaccurate and/or dishonest to blame him for Bush’s mistakes. At the risk of repeating my earlier post, the 2009 fiscal year began on October 1, 2008, and the vast majority of the spending for that year was the result of Bush Administration policies. Yes, Obama did add to the waste with the so-called stimulus, the omnibus appropriation, the CHIP bill, and the cash-for-clunkers nonsense, but as the chart illustrates, these boondoggles only amounted to just a tiny percentage of the FY2009 total — about $140 billion out of a $3.5 trillion budget." ~ the Libertarian Cato Institute http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/defending-obama-aga...

Yes. Vote Tea Party all the up to dog catcher and back down to President.

At least you aren't trying to pretend that Democrats are fiscally responsible.

• wtinc

If he spends as much or more than obama did in his first two years of service ill recommend impeachment. How does thast sound to you.

• Robert

You are right, every president spends money, but NO PRESIDENT IN HISTORY can compare to your hero 0bama.

it'll be a long time before the republikraps are back in the WH.

If that happens, yes. But it won't.

*