Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 8 years ago

Ceramic Tile over Linoleum?

I installed a new linoleum floor in my bathroom 3 years ago. The old surface was a concrete slab, that I leveled and installed the linoleum on. We really hate the floor becuase its too light, so we want to put in ceramic tile. The linoleum is in great shape with no signs of lifting. I really hate the idea of pulling up the linoleum. Do they make a speacial adhesive to lay tile on linoleum? What should I do?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • rob s
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the vinyl or lino that you put down is tight as you say , then yes you can go over it with a few precautions.

You must clean it well, rough up the surface with a belt sander, clean again and use a special thin set that is fortified stronger than the average latex modified thin set.

And most important, allow an extra day ( 2 is better) of drying time . Thats an extra day more than the 24 hr minimum, before any foot traffic is allowed on the floor. Thin set moisture has no where to go when going over sheet vinyl.Needs extra time or the bond between the thin set and lino will break and you ll have loose tile.

Any questions you can e mail me through my avatar and check my qualifications there. GL

Source(s): 20 years in flooring as a store owner/installer
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Viola
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

You should remove the linoleum before putting down the ceramic tile. You can tile over the linoleum, but you need to make very sure it is fully stuck to the concrete, cleaned very thoroughly and etched so the thin-set has something to stick to. It's a small area? Remove the linoleum.

• Ranger
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The only way to get ceramic tile to stick to your floor would be to remove the linoleum and all traces of the glue used to hold the linoleum to the floor. You need clean, bare cement to apply the thinset to.

• 8 years ago

Remove linoleum and install tile. Or remove linoleum and install new one. Technically yes – you can glue new linoleum on top of existing one, but I would remove old one. But the point DO NOT lay tile over linoleum in any case.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Sheet vinyl has never really been one of the best substrates to use, so most people won't recommend going directly over it.

There are some thinsets that will do the job and I have had some people do it successfully. Custom Building thinsets, Versabond and Flexbond in particular, are your best bests for doing this job.

Source(s): The Home Depot
  • 8 years ago

Lay new vinyl over what you have. I don't see a tile floor adhering at all to your "linoleum".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.