Leroy M asked in TravelCanadaMontreal · 8 years ago

Pit Bull Laws in Montreal, Canada?

I am moving to Montreal, Canada from Chicago, IL. I have a 3 year old Pit Bull. Are there any Pit Bull specific laws in Montreal that I should know about and how do Canadian dog laws differ from that of Chicago or the U.S?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

Montreal, as a whole, does not have a pit bull ban.

But some boroughs within Montreal, such as Ville St-Laurent, Lachine and Outremont have bans.

The boroughs of Hochelaga/Maisonneuve and Riviere-des-Prairies/Pointe-aux-Trembles are considering a ban.

I love how everyone's an expert because they find a website that says Montreal.

The "ville.montreal.qc.ca" website referred to by the poster below me is for DOWNTOWN Montreal and does not reflect the different laws in the different boroughs of Montreal.

Check what borough, or area, of Montreal you are moving to to make the correct decision regarding your dog.

The city of Montreal is composed of 19 large boroughs which are further subdivided into smaller neighborhoods. The boroughs are Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Anjou, Cote-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grace, Lachine, LaSalle, Le Plateau-Mont-Royal, Le Sud-Ouest, L'lle-Bizard–Sainte-Genevieve, Mercier–Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, Montreal-Nord, Outremont, Pierrefonds-Roxboro, Riviere-des-Prairies–Pointe-aux-Trembles, Rosemont–La Petite-Patrie, Saint-Laurent, Saint Leonard, Verdun, Ville-Marie and Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension.

Source(s): Knowledge and research as a concerned pit bull owner.
  • SteveN
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

According to the City of Montreal website, pit bulls are a prohibited animal within city limits. Many cities in the Montreal area also have this ban.

• Lori
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Pit bulls are prohibited in Montreal.

Source(s): Google
  • 8 years ago

I don't really know what are the laws pertaining to pets in Montreal as I live in another province. Visit their website

ville.montreal.qc.ca

hope this helps!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.