Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Cole asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 10 years ago

survival food when power goes out.?

i live in iowa and my dad is a meteorologist. And he told me and my fiance that we are getting a crao load of snow within the next 2 weeks its goin to hit us hard. but i want to know what food and stuff i need when the power and heater goes out. i also have 2 cats and 1 dog. Thank you for your help

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Suzy
    Lv 5
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Do you have an open fire or multi-fuel heater?? if so stock up on fuel and make sure that it is accessible - ie not at the end of a long garden.. If not see if you can purchase a paraffin or calor gas stove and get a supply of fuel for this.

Thermal vests don't show under your clothing and will keep you warm.. A good supply of warm clothing will be handy, remember that if power goes off you cannot use your washing machine.

Get in a good supply of tinned/canned food and make sure you have a manual tin opener - do you have anywhere you could safely use a camping stove in case you cannot use your home cooker?? You can also get tinned and dry foods for your pets. A few bottles of water may also come in handy.

I hope your home insulation is good - get this checked and topped up if you have the chance.. Thick curtains are great for keeping in warmth and extra blankets are handy for snuggling up on the sofa as well as keeping you warm in bed.

Make the most of good weather for exercising your dog as in bad weather it will be essential trips only and get a litter tray and supply of cat-lit for your cats.. Please make sure that they all get some warmth too and that they don't accidentally get shut outside..

GOOD LUCK

Source(s): My boiler broke down last year!! Live in the UK with pets..
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Source(s): Build an Emergency Food Supply http://renditl.info/UltimateSurvivalFood
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Canned nutrients and a can opener. peanut butter, jelly, tuna or different canned meats, canned beans evaporated milk, a million gallon of water in line with day in line with man or woman and about that for each of the pets. Smoked fish, really extreme protien unrefrigerated ingredients, water is extreme. We use the timber range for warmth and cooking. In a pinch melted snow and fir (pine) needle tea works.

• 10 years ago

bread and condiments.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.