Will Boise State join the Big East?

Favorite Answer

It looks like Boise State joining the Big East is likely to happen. After you asked the question, it was announced today that the Idaho board of education has given Boise State president Bob Kustra authority to move Boise State out of the MWC and join the Big East..

I think it will be a mistake. Boise State would be much better off joining the PAC 12 or the Big 12. Of course, neither of those conferences has shown much interest in Boise State, at least in public.

I'd be reluctant to join the Big East if they keep their 27 month rule (plus an exorbitant exit fee) before a school can leave the conference. The college football conference alignments are in flux and the talk about 16 member super conferences is still on going. Who knows what opportunities Boise State might miss out on if they are stuck in the Big East with the 27 month rule.

And, it's obvious that the Big East wants Boise State because of their recent performance in the BCS standings. When the reevaluation for the conferences AQ status comes up after the 2013 regular season, the years for evaluation will be done using BCS related measures of member schools for the years 2008-2011. And, Boise State will give the Big East a lot of juice for keeping the AQ status.

Those BCS measures for AQ are:

(1) the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings each year

(2) the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the BCS computer rankings each year

(3) the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCS standings each year

But the biggest reason Boise State should hesitate joining the Big East is the loss of their current recruiting bases. If you look at Boise State's roster, it's packed with guys from Texas, California, and other western states. I'm thinking guys from those recruiting areas will be less likely to attend Boise State if the school is a member of the Big East.

All that said, joining the Big East may be Boise State's only chance at getting into an AQ conference for a few years. But Boise State should at least wait to see what the other schools that have been invited to join the Big East decide to do.

For all that is holy and good i hope they do i am sick of hearing about boise not playing anyone problem is though there isnt anyone in the big east right now either they would do better to try and join the ACC OR big ten

• helper

I don't know, but I hope that they do, since the UH Cougars, the team from my old school, are likely to also join the BE and play against BSU each year.

they should if they wanna be in a national title game

Don't know, don't care.