Better MLB general manager: Brian Cashman or Theo Epstein?

I hear alot of ppl yapping about how Cashman shouldn't have gotten an extension and he isn't the caliber gm of a Epstein. Ummm REALLY!! If anything these two guys are equally as good. I'm a diehard Yankees fan and I respect what Epsteins been able to do for the Sox, but where he's succeeded in the past he's also failed. Just like Cash.

Favorite Answer

Cashman has signed as many bad players (or more) than Epstein and has always had a bigger checkbook to work with. Despite this, Boston has won twice as many titles as New York over the last 10 years.

Epstein was also in Boston during the renovation of Fenway Park while the Yankees simply fleeced taxpayers and built a new ballpark.

I think that given the cultures of both clubs you could have put Epstein in New York and had the same, or better, results but I doubt that Boston wins two World Series with Cashman in charge. The Steinwienies just wanted to keep their lap dog, even if he did nip at them a little during the Jeater melodrama last year.

Cashman became Yankees GM in February 1998, taking over a team with the roster in shambles -- they hadn't won a title since 1996 -- and promptly won three more.

Epstein became Red Sox GM in November 2002, taking over a team with the roster in shambles -- they hadn't won a title since 1918 -- and, after firing the manager who didn't know when to put in a relief pitcher, hired a new manager and won the franchise's first trophy in eight-six (way overhyped, and given the duration, that took some doing, genuine myth-building on the parts of too many poor writers) seasons. And, for good measure, claimed another one three years later.

Clearly, Cashman has the edge.

However, if Epstein wins a title with the Cubs, he'll be heading to the Hall of Fame, riding astride two mighty steeds named Epic Drought and Broken Curse.

• A roster in shambles, That is a real LOL.

That roster that the new GM (Theo Epstein) inherited in 2003, included Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez, Johnny Damon, Jason Varitek, Derek Lowe, Bill Mueller, Kevin Millar and David Ortiz.

Hardly a shambles!

Grady Little was not fired until after the 2003 schedule anyway, when Pedro was left in too long and against Theo's express orders to not let him pitch more than 90 pitches.

To Theo though, I credit the acquisitions of Mark Bellhorn and a second ace pitcher, named Curt Schilling.. Still, after all that, they only won Wild Card status. And then the miracle happened, and I don't think Theo had much to do with that, as the Red Sox were down three games to none against the Yankees in the ALCS, and losing by a run in the ninth inning of the fourth game, yet somehow managed to tie against Mariano Duncan and then went on to win in extra innings. And then win the next three games to oust the hated Yankees and go to the World Series.

And even then they lucked out as one of the poorest NL teams in recent memory, The Rockies, was their opponent and the Red Sox swept them in four games.

Some genius, sheer luck I calls it.

About Cashman, he has done his job, but he has his faults too. Any way, he has done somewhat better than Theo and his luckiness

.

I like Epstein better, just on general principles, for one thing, he doesn't have the money that the veil empire has, and now that he is in Chicago, he will get the opportunity to do something that Epstein will never be able to accomplish.

...and he's classier.

...I don't root for either the Red Sox, or that other team in NY.

I think Cashman is the better GM, he has built better farm system's than Epstein.

I agree with you. Equally good. Cashman just has done it longer with the Yankees. Can't complain about giving him an extension.

I don't see how either one is good or bad or better than the other. They are given a vast amount of cash and they are expected to get results..both have had success, both have had failures.

Like the Red Sox...everything was fine until they didn't make the post season, then it was panic stations.

Guys like Sandy Alderton and Doug Melvin are probably better, but it's hard to judge.