Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

whats wrong with my fish?

recently we had a power outage and my Black Moore (Sheldon) wasn't dealing so well with it.. he was on his side at the top of the tank 'gasping' for air i assume.. though our other fish which is just a common Goldfish was fine.. we removed them to some fresh water and had brought them to our neibhors since they had electricity and the filter would work. next day checking on him he was fine and appeared okay. later that day he was at the bottom of the tank very lethargic i assume stress.. our other fish is still fine and a few days later now he is still at the bottom of the tank.. will he be okay? what should i do?

I used aquarium salt/stress coat to make the water safe i even reduced feeding.

Favorite Answer

The power outage badly affected my betta as well. Thank god she survived but she was dull and lethargic. Due to stress from not having her heater or filter on. I don't know if you have this but this stuff called aquarium salt can be used as a water dechlorinator but also as a stress reducer. The formula is one rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons. It really worked for me and my betta who is back to normal and I hope you use it and it works for you.

• Kay

It's probably just stressed out. Give it a few days, there's stuff you can buy to help fish with stress. Something called stress-coat works really well. You just drip it in the water and it really helps calm it down. Fish stores use it to keep the fish calm on on the journey home. Like I said, give it a few days. Cover his tank if you can or keep it in a dark space. The dark will calm fish.