irn-bru kid asked in SportsSurfing · 9 years ago

board choice please help !?

i bought my first board its a BIC 6'7 starter shortboard and was wondering if its to advanced for me and if i can acually learn on it ?

just like to add i got this board cause i couldnt really afford a longboard and the 6'7 fits in my car and i couldnt get a roof rack because i have a small car, i wasnt just being stupid

• John F
    Favorite Answer

Nobody should ever buy a surfboard based on what size car they drive. There are always some way to transport a surfboard, long or short, in almost any vehicle. Then, no one should try to learn how to surf on his/her own. That is just not acceptable anymore, especially with as many people in the water as we see at most breaks. And lastly, BIC surfboards are junk popouts. They are great for surf shops to use a rental boards, because thy are as tough as tanks. Or for little kids who won't take proper care of a decent board. But they are otherwise worthless.

Lessons are the best way to start. Lessons can come from a professional instructor, or surfing family members or experienced surfing friends. You have to learn surf etiquette (so the experienced surfers in the line up don't want to drown you), how to paddle and take off on a wave, and how to ride a wave. The last thing experienced surfers want is for inexperienced people to just grab a board, rush into the surf and get in our way. Lessons shorten the learning curve significantly. And they help keep ignorant, un-prepared kooks out of the water and out of the way of more experienced surfers. .

Beginners should take advantage of renting boards and wetsuits while taking lessons. If it turns out you don't like surfing, you haven't wasted a whole lot of money on gear that you are not going to use. When you are ready to buy, don't waste your time on line, go to a good local surf shop to discuss your size (weight is import, height isn't), skill level and local wave conditions. After 45 years of surfing, I still get my surfboard buying advice from good local shops in the places where I surf.

Almost ALL instructors will start you off on a longboard. It is just too difficult for most people to learn how to surf on a short board. Most get quickly discouraged, and just quit. Now, over the years, I have seen some young surfers start out on short boards and master them in time. There are no RULES on what kind of board you learn on, but it's just common sense to learn on a long board.

And, I know there are lots of nice kids who want to share information with you on line. But don't take the advice from youngsters, who may know even less than you do about surfing, a surfboard is a big investment. I hope you are mature enough to read through the BS that lots of people throw at you on line. So, I would be very careful about who's advice you take.

Whatever you do, be sure to avoid buying a piece of junk cranked out in some third world country sweatshop factory by underpaid laborers who may never have even seen the ocean, let alone surfed in i, like a Bic. They are made with substandard materials and no quality control and will not last. http://bp3.blogger.com/_hPACOtZKKko/RkST%E2%80%A6

Whenever posssible, avoid all popouts. Check the link to see why:http://www.mckevlins.com/no%20pops.html

Yes you can. Anyone can learn on any board. It's just the surfer.