Could you critique my museum research paper?

Judgment of Solomon When I heard that we had to do a museum project I was really excited because museums are something I really enjoy to go while learning a lot too. I was going to pick the Holocaust Museum but had decided since I’ve been there before I should try something different. I ended up going to the... show more Judgment of Solomon
When I heard that we had to do a museum project I was really excited because museums are something I really enjoy to go while learning a lot too. I was going to pick the Holocaust Museum but had decided since I’ve been there before I should try something different. I ended up going to the Appleton Museum which was a really good choice in my opinion. While at the Appleton Museum I saw many different varieties of paintings and sculptors which many are old and some are considered modern day artifacts. The theme of this museum is a mixture of art from many places around the world. There were also many different exhibits including: European, American, Contemporary, Asian, African, Islamic, and Pre-Columbian. My favorite exhibit out of these few that they had was European. I learned many things about the painting in this area and it just happens to be were my painting for this project comes from.
The painting that I have chosen to write about is the Judgment of Solomon which is painted by Joseph Van Severdonck. Severdonck was a Belgian artist that mainly focused on historical and genre paintings. One of his many mentors that helped him with this painting and many of his other works was Gustave Wrappers. He had a total of eight painting that he had painted during his time here from 1819- 1905. This painting was something that caught my eye the first I walked past it because it’s from the bible and I enjoy learning about that stuff. My experience at the museum was a really good one considering I learned a lot of stuff I never knew about many different paintings, and I also got to learn about one of my favorite subjects. One of the security guys saw me looking at the picture and started talking to me about some pretty interesting information about how the painting got to the Appleton Museum.
First off the painting comes from a book in the bible which is 1 Kings 3:16-28. Here is the beginning of the passage that explains what happens in this story and about the painting.
One day two women who were prostitutes came to Solomon. As they stood before him, one of the women said, “My master, this woman and I live in the same house. I gave birth to a baby while she was there with me. Three days later this woman also gives birth to a baby. No one else was in the house with us; it was just the two of us. One night this woman rolled over on her baby, and he died. So she took my son from my bed during the night while I was asleep, and she carried him to her bed. Then she put the dead baby in my bed. (Revolve Devotional Bible, 1 Kings 3:16-20 NCV)
The rest of the story goes on to tell what King Solomon decides to do with the baby and that decision is that he wants to cut him in half and give one half to each of the women. Then after thinking about it again King Solomon told his servants not to kill the baby and give him back to his real mother. After King Solomon mad his final decision the people of Israel respected him more.
The same security guard that came and talk to me told me that when Joseph Van Severdonck painted this no one though it could sell because how the baby was being held. Somebody then decided to tell Severdonck to paint over the canvas and make something that people would want to see and buy. They eventually had the painting moved to storage for a while until Mr. Appleton got it. After Mr. Appleton decided to put Severdonck painting up one of the men helping him asked if he wanted to take the paint off and return it to the original. Mr. Appleton then had somebody take the remodeled painting off without damaging the original, and now two paintings are hung in the Appleton Museum to show you the history and background of this painting. The background of this painting is kind of graphic in the original because King Solomon servants are obeying the king’s orders to cut the baby in half and is holding the baby upside down. That is one reason why Severdonck painted over the original. I would say Severdonck used many great details in his work and that is what makes it look so unique and unlike any other one I have seen. There are many replicas of this painting made, but none of them look as detailed as Severdonck’s was. I have really enjoyed learning more about this painter and his many paintings. I sure hope you gain as much knowledge as I did by reading this!
Update: I'm suppose to be telling about my trip to the museum!