Ice asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 9 years ago

Question About Magic Gathering Card?

i am thinking of buying a Magic Core Set 2012 box and open the packs to get rare and mystic cards to sell them back. Will i make any profit ? just a thought

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, no you won't. The chances of you getting enough money cards to make a profit on what will probably be a costly investment is very slim.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

This really depends on the set. With 2012 at best you might break even. When you look at all the cards in 2012 you will find that there average value is simply too low to reliably break even or make profit. With a set like Innistrad your chances are better considering that you have the chance of pulling a card or two that is worth $80. Still, this practice is always going to be a gamble. Realistically there are better ways to make a profit in magic cards, namely being a good trader.

• 9 years ago

ppl do that all the time, and even make a living off of it. of course, they sell ALL the cards, not just the valuable ones. when i played, packs cost $3, and you could sell commons for a dime, uncommons for a quater, and rares for a dollar. these prices would of course be much higher for valuable cards, some rares could go up to $5, and even some commons and uncommons could sell for a dollar if they were sought after enough. note btw that mythic rares didnt exist back then, and i have no idea what pricing is default for cards today.

irregardless, often you can buy a pack and sell the individual cards in it for more than the pack was worth. hell, the precons at the time sold for $10, even though all the cards they contained could easily be sold for $20 or more. of course, the only person i know of that did that actually owned a magic shop, so he was probably only paying retail for them, thus giving himself a wider profit margin. how else do you think stores online get their cards? they get them out of packs just like everyone else.

edit: of course, if you wait a few years cards become more and more expensive the longer they've been out of print, and their price skyrockets if they're valuable in the tournaments for the lower formats. even some old commons can sell for $10. rares can easily go over $100. but that takes years to happen, the profit may or may not actually be worth the time it takes to build up, i dont know.

• 9 years ago

It's possible, but I doubt it.

To be able to even make a dollar off of this, all of the rares/mythics you get must be worth around $4 each. Usually the prices of cards drop, and you can sell them for a lot less than what you would buy them for at card stores. Besides, the chances of getting good rares/mythics that are even worth that much is a very slim chance. Unless if you want to gamble $40 with all odds against you, I wouldn't consider trying something like that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

best advice, which i recieved from another member just recently, is to just save your money, use it for something potentially more enjoyable, and if you play, play the game casually. buying booster packs/boxes is very costly, and the chances of getting very good and pricey rares and mythic rares is very low, especially for M12. other boxes, like Innistrad, have slightly higher chances of getting better rares. still, save your money for something better. they used to make booster boxes so that you got any where from 4 to 7, sometimes 8 mythic rares a box, but now, you're lucky if you even get at most 4 mythic rares in a whole box, and they wont be worth a lot most of the time. you could potentially make a profit doing this, but you would have to invest a lot of time and tremendous amount of money to make any real profit. some people can do it, but only becasue they have played the game or colleceted it for so long

Source(s): I work in a card store in the northwest, and Magic is our biggest selling product in the gaming department. the only people i know who make any real profit are those who have played or collected since Magic first began almost 20 years ago, or have played/collected for more than 10 years.
  • 9 years ago

NO you will not. The chances of getting enough mythics to get a profit are very slim. Even if you do it's not likely that someone will be willing to buy them.

• 9 years ago

unless you own a shop or something your Better off not wasting your money!! you should be buying them for fun, to compete, or collect! why are you even thinking of buying magic cards?? you and whats his face are just dreaming with $ in there minds. If it was that easy everyone would do it!!

Source(s): all me.
  • 9 years ago

Yeah agreed with ^. Now if you wait until Dark Ascension comes out you can make some cash. It comes out Feb. 28 for Prerelease.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.