What does "the dude abides" mean?

I saw it in a movie and i don't know what it mean.

Favorite Answer

Yeah, The Big Lebowski - one of my all time favorites.

Roughly: "The Dude is there for you," or "The Dude will always be around." It basically means he is an easy going fellow and is pretty content to go along with whatever is happening.

The main character, of course, is nicknamed "The Dude". The verb "abide" has a number of meanings. According to Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: abide

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈbīd\

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): abode \-ˈbōd\ or abid·ed; abid·ing

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English ābīdan, from ā-, perfective prefix + bīdan to bide; akin to Old High German ir-, perfective prefix — more at BIDE

Date: before 12th century

transitive verb

1: to wait for : await

2 a: to endure without yielding : withstand b: to bear patiently : tolerate <cannot abide such bigots>

3: to accept without objection <will abide your decision>

intransitive verb

1: to remain stable or fixed in a state

2: to continue in a place : sojourn

Confusing, perhaps, but the context should be clear with the full quote:

The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals.

• enns

Abides Definition

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/TieNE

A Dude is a cool guy or man (ragazzo). But we use it for emphasis or surprise (cavolo! = Dude!)

A state of being in the moment and allowing it to happen...