Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What does "the dude abides" mean?

I saw it in a movie and i don't know what it mean.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, The Big Lebowski - one of my all time favorites.

Roughly: "The Dude is there for you," or "The Dude will always be around." It basically means he is an easy going fellow and is pretty content to go along with whatever is happening.

The main character, of course, is nicknamed "The Dude". The verb "abide" has a number of meanings. According to Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: abide

Pronunciation: \ə-ˈbīd\

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): abode \-ˈbōd\ or abid·ed; abid·ing

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English ābīdan, from ā-, perfective prefix + bīdan to bide; akin to Old High German ir-, perfective prefix — more at BIDE

Date: before 12th century

transitive verb

1: to wait for : await

2 a: to endure without yielding : withstand b: to bear patiently : tolerate <cannot abide such bigots>

3: to accept without objection <will abide your decision>

intransitive verb

1: to remain stable or fixed in a state

2: to continue in a place : sojourn

Confusing, perhaps, but the context should be clear with the full quote:

The Dude: Yeah, well. The Dude abides.

The Stranger: The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals.

• enns
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Abides Definition

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/TieNE

A Dude is a cool guy or man (ragazzo). But we use it for emphasis or surprise (cavolo! = Dude!)

• 6 years ago

A state of being in the moment and allowing it to happen...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.