What do YOU, people, think the term Priestcraft applies to, and means, by definition?

priestcrafts are not mentioned in scriptures other than, i think, in the book of mormon and there is a BoM definition. but this is not about BoM research, its about protestant and catholic opinion.

i was at church and this older guy, whom i had never seen before approached me, and he began to say that priestcrafts fall into modern definition, with Psychiatry. I believed in his word immediately, so now i want to ask the majority opinion.

i have my own opinion, and i think it does include modern Psychology.

Update:

some additional references from the BoM:

Alma 1: 12, 16

12 But Alma said unto him: Behold, this is the first time that priestcraft has been introduced among this people. And behold, thou art not only guilty of priestcraft, but hast endeavored to enforce it by the sword; and were priestcraft to be enforced among this people it would prove their entire destruction.

(this verse does not define what LDS defintion of priestcraft is but it is asociated with a man who invents his own religion)

2 Ne. 26: 29

29 He commandeth that there shall be no priestcrafts; for, behold, priestcrafts are that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion.

this verse does define Priesthcraft, and it does not fit the catholic defintion already provide. there are 3 aspects that fit Psychyatry. and most of the time i have found that psychiatry does not seek the welfare of zion, but has doctors of medicine a

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Susie
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The dictionary says:

priestcraft (ˈpriːstˌkrɑːft)

—n

1. the art and skills involved in the work of a priest

2. (derogatory) the influence of priests upon politics or the use by them of secular power

So in a good sense, priestcraft is just the skills, powers or abilities used by a priest. Usually for the benefit of the people over whom the priest is untrusted and for the glory of God.

In the bad sense (as in the BOM) it means the use of those skills for the political or personal gain of the priest. A good example from the New Testament would be Simon the sorcerer, who used his knowledge for monetary gain. When he saw the apostles healing people etc. he asked how much to teach him that power. There were plenty of good examples back in medieval times too, the churches had enormous influence in the politics back then and the selling of indulgences was one of the main things that got Martin Luther upset at the evil priestcraft of his day.

I suppose psychiatry/psychology could be prone to the same kind of corruption. While helping people with their mental and emotional problems is a noble and good thing, it's possible to simply keep inventing new problems for people. If you can convince them they are sick, they might just keep coming back to get treated and netting you more profits. Incidentally, the BOM has the story of Zeezrom, where Alma accused the lawyers of exactly that same kind of thing, causing problems to drum up more business for themselves.

• rac
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The general definition is that men preach to get gain, or in other words, preaching is a commercial endeavor. In order to get more money, they have to preach what people want to hear, or as Isaiah put it, heap unto themselves teachers with itching ears.

When you add to that the verse you quote, then it could well be that anybody who goes around spouting the philosophies of men, or the ideologies of the world, as a profession, would fall into the definition of priestcraft. That would include any academic that uses their communicative skills to set themselves up as a leader of men as a means of promoting their own philosophy or outlook on life. Could radical environmentalists be viewed as priestcraft practitioners? Yes, probably so. Could political autocrats be viewed as practicing priestcraft? Yes, probably so.

Thus we see a much broader application of the term than mere religious leadership.

Interesting, thanks for the thought.

Source(s): my LDS opinion
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

ONE might look into seeing a psychiatrist before attending the mormon church first.

If it isn't in the bible then why worry about it?

Priestcraft actually to me sounds like false preachers in which many of the cults, JW's and mormons and others are guilty of themselves

• 9 years ago

Anciently, there was no separation from church and university. Priestcraft is the provision of educational services for profit. This included reading and writing, as well as philosophy and religion.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

In the O.T. they needed the Levite priesthood until Jesus died, now that Jesus is dead you get saved and get your spiritual gifts, thus any priestcraft is just being a warlock now.

Anything used in the context of witchcraft will happen, blessed be )0(.

• 9 years ago

Anytime anyone or anybody charges or gets paid for preach the Word of God that is preach-craft. Gods word is Free for all.

• 9 years ago

priest·craft

   [preest-kraft, -krahft] Show IPA

noun

the training, knowledge, and abilities necessary to a priest.

Origin: 1475–85; priest + craft

Psychology isn't part of the priesthood, so I don't think your definition is correct.

• 4 years ago

you're correct this can be a time period for any individual who does no longer devour meat or any animal merchandise - however you'll inform the change among people who find themselves vegan for clinical or different causes and people who find themselves vegan for moral causes as traditionally it is just people who find themselves vegan for moral causes don't put on leather-based and so on

• 9 years ago

I always thought it referred to anyone who preached for money. In otherwords, they obtained their means for living soley from those to whom they preached.

(This occurs within the LDS church, btw)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

priesting

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.