?
? asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 8 years ago

Canadian citizenship?!?

I am an Irish citizen and both my parents have Irish citizenship also. But my mom lived in Canada when she was younger and she also has Canadian citizenship. She still has a copy of her Canadian passport even though it's completely out of date, and she hasn't lived in Canada for about 30 years. I was just wondering does anyone know if she still has her Canadian citizenship? And what does it mean if she wanted to travel there now? Or does it have any effect if I wanted to travel there as I've never been there before?

I would really appreciate any help! Thanks :)

• Jim B
    Favorite Answer

Yes she is STILL a Canadian citizen. She can apply for a new Canadian passport, and she can LIVE and work in Canada, with out any hindrance.

AND YOU are also a Canadian Citizen by birthright. Citizenship , in Canada, passes from Parent to Child. You can apply, to the Canadian High Commission, in London, to have your citizenship confirmed, and to have a Canadian passport issued in YOUR name. With that passport in hand, you can move to Canada and live and work here, for as long as you like..

You have the same rights, any any other Canadian citizen.

Jim B

Toronto.

She is still a Canadian Citizen and she only has to renew her passport, and you are also a Canadian Citizen by Birthright because Canadian law states that anyone born after 1975 (not sure about the year) and has at least one parent who is Canadian Citizen, he or she may also become a Canadian Citizen

If your mom was a Canadian citizen when you were born, you have the right to apply for Canadian citizenship. If your mom renounced her Canadian citizenship when she moved to Ireland, you don't. So it all depends on what her status is.

If she never renounced her Canadian citizenship, she can apply to renew her Canadian passport.

If she became a Canadian citizen, she is still a Canadian citizen. she can apply for and receive a new passport. You are simply irish and must use an Irish passport. You may visit Canada for up to 6 months without a visa.

Your mom should still have her Canadian citizenship unless for some reason she actively renounced it.

I'm not sure whether you yourself can claim citizenship, unless your mom was actually born here.

The website talks about sponsoring dependent children, but I know someone who was able to claim citizenship as her mom was born here in about 1925 before moving to the UK 2 years later.

It's worth checking if you actually want to immigrate or work here, but just to travel for 6 months it's not worth the effort.