Jovany asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

How do I put my Betta fish...down?

I feel so bad for him,he just looks so bored all day, I changed water,changed tanks,clean tanks like once a couple of days,and he just looks so bored and depressed and doesn't even eat,I feel like he doesn't want to be him anymore,I've done everything,I even moved him to a 20 Gallon tank and hes still so down,I even put Tap Water Cleaner and it does nothing,I just feel bad for him and there's nothing else to turn to except end his misery,how do I do it without the worst happening?

Best Answer

That's what most betta fish do. they just hang around and look bored. Don't kill it! He's fine.

If you really think you need to kill him take a sharp knife and put it right through the top of his head. It's quick and painless. If he twitches it's not because he's in pain, it's just because there are still corrupted signals in the nerve.

Source(s): Betta fish owner, Fisherman

Give him to someone who knows and understands Bettas. There is no reason to kill a perfectly healthy Betta because you don't know what to do. If you lived close by I would take him and make him very happy. I'm sure there are lots of people in your area who will do the same. Offer him on Freecycle, Craig's list, whatever resource you have available to give pets away.

On Freecycle around here, they get snapped up like hotcakes! My last two I adopted from someone on Freecycle who was moving cross-country and didn't want to try to take them. I loved and enjoyed them for 4 more years after I got them (I don't know for sure how old they were, but they were mature when I got them). I was very sad when they finally gave in to old age, about a year apart.

Someone who specializes in Bettas will know how to make your fish very happy. They need mental and physical stimulation provided by their primary care-giver. Bettas can and do get bored. They are very intelligent and curious little fish.

Please find him a home where he will be loved and properly cared for. He deserves a chance!

Source(s): Hobbyist for many years.

The most 'humane' way to kill a fish is to get a bowl, fill it with tank water, then put some clove oil in it. Mix it all up, and plop your fish in.

Clove oil is used to 'relax' big fish if they are to travel or something, too much will basically put them to sleep. So it's a pretty nice way to go out.

Buy him a lady friend, maybe that will help. Fish aren't really supposed to act all giddy and happy though, I imagine it's pretty normal for a fish to look bored.

Fish do not have the mental capacity for boredom my friend, he's just living his life careless because he doesn't know how to care

its a fish lol its not like you have to exucute the president

just let it live its fuking life hhaha

Bettas are like that. They are perfectly fine :) Check for disease symptoms though. He could possibly have fungus disease.

Buy him a friend.